Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculation of a table summary field

This topic is 1582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure how to explain this properly but I will try.

I have 2 tables, one main customer table and a phone log table with over 700,000 records.

They are related with a customer number field.

on my main customer table, I currently show the last phone log entry, date and user initials with a field in the main customer table called (last phone log name) (last phone log date) (last phone log initials) using the last function.

This works perfectly but it is massively slowing down when I scroll through hundreds of records on my main customer table.

Is there any way to create a new field or store this information so it isn't calculated on the fly, any thoughts?

I think if you just sort the relationship in descending order by date of the phone log entries, simply putting those fields on the Customer layout (or a 1 row portal) should do the trick.  Then you wouldn't need what's probably an unstored calc at all.

Edited by Steve Martino

Steve's idea makes sense in form view. If you're talking about scrolling in list or table view, it's going to be slow either way. If you're using a script to create the phone log record it should be fairly easy to also store the most recent info in a field in the customer record.

This topic is 1582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.