Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Should I switch to Server 18 from Server 17

This topic is 1491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and the time reading this. 

I am currently running server 17, no issues, however, my SSL certificate just expired. Before I go through all the new motions and get a new certificate, you think I should switch to 18 now? Since the world is ending, my server is slower and its a good time to back it up and upgrade to 18. Are there anything noteworthy about switching to 18 at this point and will installing a certificate be any easier in 18? I thought installing a certificate on 17 was a pain in the you know what.

Any thought appreciated.

I am also running my server on a Mac. Been very happy, no issues to speak of.

Thanks,

Mike

As mentioned in the other thread: there's very few motions involved in installing a cert renewal, so if you think there are, let us know what your understanding of it so that we can help you.

As to 18, a couple of thoughts:

• FMS17 will be EOL in September and the Admin API has already expired.  For that reason alone I would upgrade
  • make sure to turn off the data restoration feature in FMS18, there are a fair number of reports of it causing crashes.  There is no setting in the admin console for it, it's CLI or Admin API
  • follow the proper uninstall - rename left-over folder - reboot - install procedure otherwise you may run into issues.
  • if you keep the FQDN of your server the same. you don't have to go through the whole CSR - cert issue, just re-use the serverKey.pem and cert already issued by your vendor

7 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

As mentioned in the other thread: there's very few motions involved in installing a cert renewal, so if you think there are, let us know what your understanding of it so that we can help you.

As to 18, a couple of thoughts:

• FMS17 will be EOL in September and the Admin API has already expired.  For that reason alone I would upgrade
  • make sure to turn off the data restoration feature in FMS18, there are a fair number of reports of it causing crashes.  There is no setting in the admin console for it, it's CLI or Admin API
  • follow the proper uninstall - rename left-over folder - reboot - install procedure otherwise you may run into issues.
  • if you keep the FQDN of your server the same. you don't have to go through the whole CSR - cert issue, just re-use the serverKey.pem and cert already issued by your vendor

Thank you! I am going to start the process...shouldn't take long. My domain name will be the same, etc. but I want to switch where I bought my SSL certificate from. Because I bought my domain through bluehost, I bought an SSL through them. I having a horrible time getting my SSL .crt file. Been on hold for hours...literally. Any suggestions for a provider is helpful. Will update you...I agree the process should be 10 minutes.

This topic is 1491 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.