Almost... but not quite

Lisa M.

This topic is 902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello All:

I wanted to post up here one of my projects (HealthVAULT v1.0 Basic Edition).  I've literally tested all my reports and layouts and things seem to be working OK... BUT I'm hitting a few snags:

1. upon adding and committing a record then clicking over to a tab to add related records in a portal I start adding and there's a popup menu that says "link contact to" or something of a kind where you can pick the person who shall be linked to the contact (or med record).  on the contacts tab, populating the fields results in the person's ID number being populated but on the meds tab populating the fields results in their full name being displayed.  The thing is that I've got a value list set up called users this value list will pull all values from Person table _PK_PID (primary key for each person) but display person table fullname (concatenated value of Lastname, FirstName, Middle Name).  Both of the link to fields are using the same value list.
  2. Custom menus: I'm building a runtime database application and I want my custom menus to show up so long as the logged on user is not "admin", "dev" or "sys"... if the account name matches any of these (I might remove admin from the test) show the full menus for FileMaker.  In short no matter how I do the scripting I cannot seem to get the custom menus to show up, or if they do show up they're only on screen for as long as the about layout is on, once you click dismiss, the full FileMaker Menus show up regardless.
  3. I've separated my files into a main file where the relationships, scripts, and accounts etc. live (main) and three files (person, med, contact) I ave all users defined at the file main and when a user logs on to that file all the data files load with auto-login... is this the best way to handle cascading security or is there a better way to handle this?
  4. I'm going to build a runtime solution and I want to use my custom help file (*.chm) for all help in the windows version and if the user is using the straight fp12 files (in a cross-platform environment, on in server) they will get a web-based (local *.html files) how can I integrate my custom help files?

Again I'm so close to being able to ship this one that I just need to address the last few hiccups

to fool around with these files and see if you might be able to address my shortcomings (I'm almost sure the answers to these are right in front of my face, I've been working on this for a little over a week occasionally banging my head against the desk due to my own lack of insight) so I think it's time to call in the professionals to help me wrap this one up.  use the following credentials:

All Files Admin Password: Hungry24@Nora15
All Files User Password: healthvault

the restricted user is healthvault the admin user is admin

To start the workflow the way I intend t unzip the zip file and launch main.fp12 log on and the data files will load then minimize out of the way.  fool around with the about screen then hit dismiss to be brought to the main screen of HealthVAULT insert a new record fill it out then click outside the fields to commit click over to the tabs for medications and emergency contacts, and add them either using the portal or by clicking the appropriate buttons.

to find either use the find button or CTRL+F or COMMAND+F and enter criteria then hit enter... to get emergency cards click the get emergency cards button or go the the layout.  To get more detailed emergency contacts or meds lists go to the appropriate layout.

Emergency cards were intentionally designed to fit on a single 8.5x11" sheet of paper when printed in portrait mode thus if you have a large group of them (say a class of 16 1 physical page = 1 students health record).  If for some odd reason a particular person has more contacts or medications than will fit in the emergency cards limited space for each of them, that's where the "Emergency Contacts For..." and "Medication List For..." reports come into play.  each of these displays about 26 or so records of each type for a given individual one per page (if a person has more the 26 medications and 26 emergency contacts... by the time  you're hitting contact 3 on the list you really should be calling emergency services or going to the hospital not fussing about trying to call everyone in existence... the medication list should be long enough to hold an average person's meds (even my roommate's complex med schedule fits in report with room to spare and she's on like at least 8 different pills) and I've seen out in the real world where 10-15 is overkill for most)...  To get a look at the current (in complete help file, you'll need windows or a program to view CHM files on the mac...

I'd really appreciate your help with this one in wrapping  up the loose ends

HealthVAULT test.zip noname.chm

Edited by Carly F.

Quick update on the cascading accounts question for separated files…

i think that I might have found a solution with an external module from Modular FileMaker (a site I just discovered while doing additional research for trying to solve my own questions while waiting for possible answers) 

proposed external solution: http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/accounts-modular-user-account-management/

that was linked to in this thread on the Claris site: https://community.claris.com/en/s/question/0D50H00006h9FyW/user-login-permissions-across-files-

it looks like someone “inherited” an “ancient database” that might have *required* the separation model (was probably designed way before  my time in FileMaker (started play around with it in v 7 but really kicked it off in v12) 

so HUGE THANKS to philipHPG at claris forums for suggesting this and to jb301 over at claris forums for asking the question that was similar enough to mine that someone out there in FileMaker expert land had a solution for… ;) 

I’ll test this over the weekend and report back if it fixed this particular issue  (more like is a better way to implement what I was trying for) … 1 down, 3 to go.  Google/others that came before me 3, Carly 0. 

Edited by Carly F.
Gorrected spelling/grammar errors

This topic is 902 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.