Password protected Word document (with editable exceptions/fields)

This topic is 739 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trialling Scribe for many of our company's document needs and have setup an example process where I have been able to load a Word template, replace all my placeholders with FM data and output an instance of the updated document - all good.  However, I was given a curve ball today whereby half of the documents I would be automating are password protected with exceptions, i.e. a bunch of editable areas that appear like this:  [add name here].

I've tried opening this protected template using the DocumentLoad[ path ; password=xxx ] but it seems my placeholders are no longer recognised when they sit in Word designated editable areas [inBrackets].  I've tried extra spacing & copy & paste by placeholder tag but they are still not reconisable by Scribe.  No load errors, just ScribeDocSubstitute errors on tags that were fine in an unprotected document.

I can't find any reference to protected Word files in Scribe documentation, wiki or forum - are protected Word files not supported?

I can't un-protect, update & re-protect as Scribe only has an option to password protect PDF's from what I can see.  I'll suggest a PDF alternative to the team but not sure they will accept this yet.

Thanks,
Lee

UPDATE:  YOU CAN Scribe-Write to PROTECTED DOCUMENTS!  Read on...

I've done some more testing on this today.  Nothing I did with the pre-locked Word document worked, even after I completely unlocked it.

However, I reverted to the "good" unlocked document I had started out with today and tried locking that one and using a mix of tagged control fields using ScribeDocWriteValue() and placeholders with ScribeDocSubstitute.  So essentially the same tests I was doing in the 'problem file'. 

Note: Name-Tagged control fields are more desirable as they make it easier to update a document after it's been created, you simply target the control-field tag names with your update, whereas a placeholder is lost once you substitute it.

Much to my surprise the locked version worked!  I was able to update the edit exceptions I'd added and the document exported was still locked - perfect!  This doesn't leave me with any clarity on why the other template (pre-protected version) won't work at all. There is little difference between them really other than that the problem doc was probably created earlier in time and was locked by someone other than I, though I have the password and hence full control over the template.

I will create a new document and copy the contents of the problem file to it and report back on any further revelations.

Edited by William Slim

• 2 months later...

@William Slim
If I include a Word document that I'm trying to modify from within FM, could you take a look at it for me? I am hitting a wall trying to update it with with the MBS plugin. Was thinking Scribe might work. Haven't had any luck with it either.
Thanks.

This topic is 739 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.