Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP on SONOMA import text from folder problems

• Newbies

I have a folder with various students db. In the folder I have several files each of them is divided by tabs.

I created a database with varioous fields and each of the matches the various files in the folder.

As I click Import folders on any FMP Advanced versions on sonoma, ventura I only see FMP importing 3 Files as TEXT CONTENT, FILE NAME, FILE PATH this in each version from FMP15 to FMP19 I tried them all but while in 15 I see my original fields I cannot select the various tab files. as you will see in this image I add.
Is this because the new mac systems no longer allow to import tab files as before?
Please help me as I need this db for my students results

Regards

clip.png

Edited by thedkey

I am not sure I understand your question.

Importing a folder of files is NOT the same thing as importing each file individually. When importing a folder of text files (such as TSV files), Filemaker will create one record for each file, and populate (up to) three fields in this record:

• Text Content
  • File Name
  • File Path

If you chose a target field for the Text Content source field, Filemaker will try to populate it with the contents of the entire text file. See:
https://help.claris.com/en/pro-help/content/importing-folder.html

This was always the case and nothing has changed in recent versions of FMP or macOS.

If you are trying to automate the individual import of each TSV file in a folder, you will need to employ a different strategy.

BTW, I get the impression that each one of the files in the imported folder contains only a single record (one row of tab-separated values). In such case, you could proceed to import the contents of the entire text file into a designated field and parse the individual values from there into the proper fields.