Is Filemaker Inc a bit chicken?

This topic is 7271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have just a little question to ask:

Is it perhaps possible that Filemaker Inc didnt insert some new functions in the new FMP7 simply just because of the fact that they will interfear with some of the plug-in-companies excisting products?

How much influence does theese companies have on Filemaker Inc?

I would never go and by an expensive plug-in just for one function, then i would consider of changing the software to, for example, Servoy. But i am not a developer, just a simple user for a smallsize company (15 people). I am pretty new to Filemaker, and i have not yet desided if i should use Servoy instead of FMP.

I really hope that this is not a fact, but i am afraid that FM Inc will try not to step on thier "partners" toes. I really dont believe that they would add functions that earlier the plug-in-companies where makin money of in the new FMP if they are not "forced" by the users or to hold a strong marketshare.

Am i right or wrong?

(No, i dont believe that Elvis is alive...)

You are wrong. I think just about every version of FileMaker Pro has had improvements that have rendered some plug-ins obsolete. FM7 does new things that a few plug-ins were doing in FM6.

I totally disagree with Ender. FMI makes little or no attempt at replacing their plugin developers. Consider the fact that after all these years we still can't execute a script when exiting a field (there are at least 2 plugins for this feature). Why, with a brand new version is there no way to automatically upgrade solutions that were created with previous versions? (New Millenium has one). We still have no mouse-over help. The list goes on...

Notwithstanding the above, and notwithstanding their poor service, Filemaker is an easy-to-use product for small and medium sized applications. It is very fast to develop in, and the fact that you might have to buy a plugin(s) should not deter you from using it.

Steve

I agree that a few functions are new and that a few plug-ins could be sorted out after every new version. But it feels like some new functions are not really ready when releasing the new FMP7. It feels like they are teasing us end-users to only have half the function, and then recommending partners on thier website that could do all the job. One (not so good perhaps..) example of this is the insert file-function wich i have been discussing on this forum for a while. They have known for years that Troi

Of course partner-level FSA members have some influence with FileMaker. But I seriously doubt that would stop FileMaker from improving its product. Look, the changes introduced to FileMaker 7 are massive. I'm sure it was all they could do to get the thing out the door on schedule. No conspiracy theory required.

I must say that i am glad of the new features in FMP7, this is not the issue here. I am VERY satisfied with many of the new functions (so you dont think im a grumpy old man...).

I am just wondering if it could be a fact that the have a plug-in policy?

Look at any company that uses a plug-in architecture (Adobe products, most 3d packages, CAD software, ect), they rarely obsolete plugins, unless it is a function that they feel is CORE to thier application.

It is a double edged sword, on one side you would have to expend resources to duplicate the functionality of the plugin, on the other side you would then alientate (and possible bankrupt) the companies that are expanding your product.

So why do it?

If you have the choice of solving a problem in a next release that isn't covered by anything, program nor plug-in, or solving a problem which is already covered by a plug-in, which is the wiser choice? Or how about adding new functionality, instead of spending valuable resources on something that is already there, be it in the form of a plug-in? Not bankrupting your partners is of course a nice added bonus to that, but hardly the main reason, I would think.

Custom functions have been added in Dev 7. Using these, the Troi Ranges plug-in can be done as a single custom function, and at least half of the Troi Text plug-in is now also fairly easy to make yourself.

Personally, if I think if there are a lot of complaints that FileMaker can't do X, then "X" will be high on their list. If a plug-in comes out for an area, the number of complaints are reduced and another higher-complaint area will be addressed instead.

I Just attend the magnificent seven FIleMaker tour in Portland Oregon. I think this is the first one they had. They demonstrated an example of event triggered script and said the plug-in came with developer 7. I double check this afterwards and it was confirmed. I am still skeptical, if I was FileMaker I would make this feature a major selling point. Can anyone confirm this plug-in is in developer

I also asked about another problem I have with FM 7 and was told it was a bug and would be fixed but may not make it by v2. No comment on when v2 would be out.

The problem is when using pop up list with many records (3000). When you type the first couple letters FileMaker no longer moves to that point on the list.

This topic is 7271 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.