Too little features in FMPro ?

This topic is 8537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Let me try to explain what I mean.

Do to nessesity, I have hade to learn how to put together a few DBs with various programs. I currently have my simple, but web enabled service database running with FMPro 4.1. I have also supported a Db in the maintenance department with Paradox 9. The HR department had me doing a few things with Access. With those experiences in mind, I find the options in the pull down menus and the screens available to be very sparse in FMPro. There are no separate "queries", or "Tables". No SQL options that I have found. No screens that make relating tables easy. How do you create a form that calls more than one table ? Can you have a predefined report run queries ?

Since it is used a lot and all these people visit this forum and others, I have to assume I'm missing something here ? It seems that FM leans its self to single screen single table work and simple find requests.

Where's the Beef ? ( in FileMaker Pro )

JohnW

I think what may appear as a lack of features has a lot to do with the Filemaker people going to great lengths to simplify the user interface. Unlike some applications that have a lot of windows menus and so on, Filemaker streamlined and combined a lot of functions. It is a powerful program but the approach to creating a solution may be different than in Access or Paradox.

Have a look at some of the topics here in FM Forums. A lot of people have put together some impressive database solutions with FM.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnW:

Let me try to explain what I mean.

Do to nessesity, I have hade to learn how to put together a few DBs with various programs. I currently have my simple, but web enabled service database running with FMPro 4.1. I have also supported a Db in the maintenance department with Paradox 9. The HR department had me doing a few things with Access. With those experiences in mind, I find the options in the pull down menus and the screens available to be very sparse in FMPro. There are no separate "queries", or "Tables". No SQL options that I have found. No screens that make relating tables easy. How do you create a form that calls more than one table ? Can you have a predefined report run queries ?

Since it is used a lot and all these people visit this forum and others, I have to assume I'm missing something here ? It seems that FM leans its self to single screen single table work and simple find requests.

There is nothing in Access or Paradox that you cannot do in FMP. The functions are different, but all the same stuff can be accomplished.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I've been there too.. Once you learn to translate the languare between FM and Access, yuo'll discoiver that everything is there and it can be done.

One important difference is that Tables = Files.

It's all realtional database design and the realtionship ducntions many to many, one to many etc are all the same.

You'll have to keep you Access and other databse learning from corrupting you FM learning though.

------------------

Bruce J

Kansas City

[email protected]

I think what has been said is correct FM does have what the others have if a little less technical.

I to have used Access and Paradox, with the later being the better of the two.

But as said "Cross Platform" is the key for FM and that's why I have moved over to it.

Plus it's the only way to keep these miserable Mac operators happy in a multi environment smile.gif

The gentlemen who replied before me are all on the button. I was a 10+ year Foxpro Developer myself and did not want to leave. Foxpro was cross platform as well but when Mocrosoft revamped it into it "Visual Scheme" they lost a lot of developers who prefered the friendly "x-base" environment. I was like you when I entered into FM Pro and felt "Where's the beef?". The truth of the matter is the creative developers at FM have gone to great lengths to simplify "development time". A simple check register program took me on the average of 10 hours to development in Foxpro 2.5 with a decent interface. FM Pro takes half the time. Believe me, the "Beef" is there. Pick up a copy of "Scriptology" and give it a week. You'll be glad you did.

Foxpro Convert

This topic is 8537 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.