Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can I add scroll bar at a checkbox list?

gchron

This topic is 2922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just wanted to ask, Is there a way to have a scroll bar in my checkbox set filed.

I have a value list that takes data from a table. So I do not know how many are going to be all the items in my checkbox list. I would like to have the ability to add a scrollbar. I cannot see this in field properties.

As the data for the list is coming from a table you could display this as a portal WITH SCROLL BAR. Some scripting will be needed to set the data value selected from the portal.

I don't see a difference. What I DO see is that if you paste a second copy of All Attributes portal next to the first, and fire the first (with Freeze Window) then there is more jump.

But simply disabling Freeze Window[] with the one portal being viewed makes no difference.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

what i need to extract is the name associated with the number. so the field is filled with 1 as the object id and then the attribute as alpha for example. what i want to know in summary is have a list of all the attributes that correlate to that item. to return a list of all checked items by attribute not by object id. does that make sense? only cause the client wants to see what is assigned to the item in a short list rather than scroll a long portal of thousands of items to see which are checked.

• 5 years later...
On 6/15/2009 at 3:36 PM, comment said:

Exactly - and not very difficult either:

Scroll_Checkbox.fp7.zip

Found this and works perfectly! Thanks for that. The reason why I prefer it over regular checkboxes is that value lists can change and cause problems on layouts when extend when more values are added in the source table, or when they are long in the first place. See attachment, on the right-hand side.

I applied it to a layout with a portal listing Departments. In a second portal, I use the values of checked items as a key to filter out another portal with Functions. I also added a similar portal below that one, listing Functions in UNchecked Departments. Still to do is adding yet another Portal, there will be Employees filtered by checked Functions. So this is a kind of cascading selection tool to limit the list of employees (200+) in the end. (Employees not shown in attachement.)

Now is there a way to sort the Functions (and Employees) portal so checked items float on top of unchecked items? This becomes important – especially in the UNchecked Department Function portal – so it is immediately apparent if other Functions (in UNchecked Departments) have been selected. (Example is the "Account Manager" that is checked and visible, but should be on top...)

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 12.06.03.png

Edited by Roeland De Windt
Added screenshot to clarify

Hello Roeland, and welcome to the FM Forums,

4 hours ago, Roeland De Windt said:

Found this and works perfectly

Please update your Profile to show the version of FileMaker, OS and Platform you are using.

Lee

1 hour ago, Lee Smith said:

Please update your Profile to show the version of FileMaker, OS and Platform you are using.

Updated, Lee! I had a hard time finalising my registration (with details) from my company IP. Had to do it from my home IP, and then I forgot all about those details.

2 hours ago, Steve Martino said:

Sort by checkbox, descending then the field you want, ascending, and check the box 'Keep records in sorted order

Impossible. As the checkbox field is in the current file, I cannot select it for sorting. Only related files can be selected for sorting, and this is not the case using this technique. I could (and am already) sort by the name field of the Department, Function or Employee, as those are related tables.

Edited by Roeland De Windt

On 4/28/2016 at 2:43 AM, Roeland De Windt said:

Now is there a way to sort the Functions (and Employees) portal so checked items float on top of unchecked items?

It's possible, but not exactly simple. I am not sure it's such a good idea, though. If you have that many options, I would suggest using two portals - one for selected options and one for unselected ones. I have posted a demo of this method

On 28 April 2016 at 0:15 AM, webko said:

I would make the right hand checkbox set two columns wide, while possibly also reducing the width of your portals to the sub-tables.

Webko,

Thanks for replying. The screenshot is a quick'n'dirty layout just showing the checkbox field to see what's going on under the hood. Will take them of the layout when done developing.

6 hours ago, comment said:

It's possible, but not exactly simple. I am not sure it's such a good idea, though. If you have that many options, I would suggest using two portals - one for selected options and one for unselected ones.

Comment,

Thanks. I came to the exact same conclusion and have it working: 1 portal for checked, and 1 for unchecked.

This topic is 2922 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.