FM Server initiated email fails for only one client

This topic is 4518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

FM Server version 11.0.3.309 running on Windows Server 2008 R2, with 30+ FM Pro licensed Windows clients & IWP.

I have several scripts with a Send Email step that is configured as "Send via SMTP Server" (there is no Outlook or any other email client on the server). These scripts work fine for all FM Pro clients (in fact, IWP users as well), except for one user. In any script that calls for a Send Email via SMTP Server, he is given an error message: "The connection was refused by the SMTP server."

The error would seem to be related to his client machine/install, because when another user logs in with his credentials, they are able to send an email. How could I go about isolating the cause of this error?

• 4 weeks later...

Are you calculating any of the email fields such as Sender Email, Reply-Address, To Address, Subject etc? If so, make sure the user in question has valid values for each of those. Most SMTP servers will reject mail with no recipient or reply address etc.

I usually drop in a 'show custom dialog' which displays these values just before the send email script step to see what the values are set to at that point).

Failing that, I guess it could be something in his %appdata% filemaker folder, but I would double check the email is properly formed first.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Thanks Codeus, I'll probably trap the values and have them texted to me when this user performs that script.

As for the "one machine's firewall settings is blocking the necessary SMTP ports" hypothesis, are you saying that when FMS performs a Send Email configured as "Send via SMTP Server", the mail is actually being sent by the local user's machine? The SMTP server defined is a company server; it's hard to see how a local machine's firewall policy could block the email (though I hesitate to question Wim :) ).

In large organizations it is a common security policy to block SMTP ports on workstations. They don't want people or apps sending emails outside the "official" channels. In your case I doubt it is a policy since all other workstations are fine. But it could still be a local setting. Check the firewall. SMTP uses port 25

And yes, when you use SMTP as the option to send email, it is sent by the workstation, not the server. It is only sent by the server if you do this a server-side script schedule.

This topic is 4518 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.