Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Important Question?

This topic is 4529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Forum!

I have this doubt, may I develop a whole solution using only PHP instead of Filemaker??? Don't get me wrong I been using filemaker the last 10 years and I feel very comfortable with the application but sometimes I think Filemaker needs to be more robust, for the other hand I am new to PHP, I've heard that is very solid and well used for web development, So this is my question why to use an intermediate application like filemaker and it's PHP API for web development if we could go directly with PHP only???

I ask this specific point here in the forum to get a better idea and to know which way to take.

Sincerely

BluiSh

PHP itself only handles data, it doesn't store it. You need some form of database (mySQL, FileMaker, even plain text files) to actually hold that data that has been handled...

And to use PHP effectively, some form of framework is needed - personally, I don;t use the API for that, but it's there and relatively easy to use for small to medium complexity systems.

I've got solutions that have run trouble free for extended periods using the API. Has some issues with speed for large data sets and complicated queries, but that's more from using the wring tool for the job than anything inherently wrong with the API.

I personally prefer the FX.php class for dealing with FileMaker - it's a bit easier to see what's actually going on and manipulate the data sets, but I also started with it before the API existed, so part of it is also familiarity...

This topic is 4529 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.