Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to download hosted file for updating

This topic is 4422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

To date I have always done updates on the live hosted file, but I now have reasons to work on a local copy, then do updating later.

I suppose the basic procedure should be to:

1) close the hosted file

2) download it to my local disk

3) import the data into my new file

4) upload the new file

But how is it recommended that I download the hosted file from FileMaker server? Should I use AFP to make the databases folder shared? That somehow seems dangerous and wrong to me...

I need to do this from off site.

But how is it recommended that I download the hosted file from FileMaker server? Should I use AFP to make the databases folder shared? That somehow seems dangerous and wrong to me...

Definitely don't do that. That exposes the live hosted files to all sorts of potential nastiness. The best approach is to remote control the server as Barbara indicated and from there push the file to a network share that is not on the FMS box.

How about just grabbing the last backup and using that as your starting point for development? We use Remote Desktop to the FMS desktop.

I'm not looking for a starting point for development, I'm at the other end - after making changes off site and looking to install the new version of the database that includes the latest data from the hosted version. I don't have Remote Desktop but I can screen share.

So here's what I'm thinking now...

Use FMS Admin Console to close the file (preventing further changes)

Use screen sharing to Manually copy the old file (just closed) to a share point on the server.

Use AFP to download the old file to the workstation and Import the data from old file into new file.

Use FMS Admin Console to "remove the old file then "upload" and open the new file.

I find it strange that FMS Admin Console allows you to upload a new database file from anywhere, but there's no way to get it back.

"I find it strange that FMS Admin Console allows you to upload a new database file from anywhere, but there's no way to get it back."

I'm sure you'll find this has been a feature request for some time... and FMI does listen.

Have you made any schema changes? Privilege sets? Any other changes to the data file?

Hi, Bruce. Occasional changes to the bits set in a Privilege Set. Many changes of users from one Group to another. Rarely add a field to an existing data file, but it has happened. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. These have all been long term clients, although new ones are added. I use External Server Authentication and all files go through an extensive development testing process before going to Production.

Thanks.

Steven

This topic is 4422 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.