Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server not clearing tmp cache after server script execution? Bug?

Opotoc

This topic is 4098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys,

I have noticed that Server Adv.12.03 not longer clears the temp cache once a server script is finished. Usually the cache should be deleted once the server script is done, shouldn't it.

It's happening on two Mac Servers 10.7.5 / 10.6.8

Has anyone else this problem? Is is a bug?

I love the temp cache. I use it a lot to get data from the internet into the database (Load, write to file in temp , import into database) using server scripts..

So if there a bug, I will run into trouble.. only a question of time and disc space..

Best,

Alexander

How do you establish that it does not?  What do you look at?

I'm looking into the server's -TMP- folder located at  /private/var/folders/.../.../T/

And I can see all the XMLs downloaded by the server script there (one folder for each run) and a lot of extra FMTEMPFM....outtemp  files, I assume one for every XML import into the database.

But it's only happening with one script, another one doing quite the same job, the tmp is deleted as expected.

I also checked permissions.

Maybe I'll just reinstall the server software and see what happens then...

So, I kept an eye on the servers for a few days and the contents of some (not all) temp folders is definitely not deleted after the server script is done.

If the temp folder contains FileMaker XML being stored there before import, the folders are deleted,

once a XSLT transformation is involved or XMLs are checked via xmlstarlet, the folders incl. their contents remains.

But this doesn't make any sense to me.

I also checked the permissions, they were correct. 

So I'm clueless and I will delete the files as soon as they are not longer needed, that's why I work with the temp folder... :mad:

Good idea,

xmlstarlet is invoked via ScriptMaster / RunShellScript (with timeout). The result is written to disk (same temp folder) by the shell script. The server script is kept in a loop checking for the result  of the shell script eventually with a timeout of 5 sec.

But it wouldn't explain the behavior for other script, this is just simple XML download/write to disk /import via XSLT.

I have notice that not all files downloaded (1500+ files) to the script's temp folder are still there and the ones being at the end on an alphanumerical sort. So I think FileMaker Server is deleting the files in the script's temp folder in alphanumericalical order but there seems to be a timeout. This also explains why there are theses .outtemp files in the parent folder.

So let's see what happens if I have the script's downloaded contents deleted beforehand.

I had most of the files deleted and now everything is working as expected. This points to that there is some limitation either timing or file count.

As very rough figure I can tell from my "experiments"

1.000 files in the tmp folder seem to be ok.

But that's just some figure, no other factors as workload etc were taken into any consideration.

This topic is 4098 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.