Conditional VL including 2 join tables

Enigma20xx

This topic is 3918 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everyone.

I’m trying to accomplish a conditional value list and I’ve been working with a few sample files I have (I still don’t get the whole picture of how it works, I always miss something), and I’m stuck (once again, lol).

The idea is:

Meeting

Holdings

Companies

Executives

Is going to take place a meeting where some executives may go. That depends on what Holdings (not single companies) are going to be represented in the meeting.

I need to condition the Executive value list to the Holdings they are in.

I attach my sample file.

Thanks in advance.

Conditional VL Join Tables.zip

You are completely right eos. Actual meeting table IS attendees, and I manage it through a portal in real meeting layout.

I tried to simplify it (I also translated it all from spanish, so less work lol).

Thank you very much for your help and to point that of pop-up menus.

I could never get to that complex relationship.

Thanks again.

Working with the sample file, I have made some little changes to it.

Now I have two new “battles”.

First:

I’ve tried to implement an improvement to the holdings value list to narrow it, skipping the already selected (I think it was a comment’s advise to another thread).

It works fine, but the visual aspect of the popup menu in meetings layout goes weird and I don’t know why.

Second:

Trying to go a bit further.

What if when I set the Executives of the Companies I also set the type of executive they are.

The meeting will be only for CTOs.

I have tried to add a new field to the Executive table to filter the relationship through CTO data, but I’m doing it wrong.

Thanks to all.

Conditional VL Join Tables v3.zip

It works fine, but the visual aspect of the popup menu in meetings layout goes weird and I don’t know why.

Read what I wrote on the layout of the file I posted: The name resolution via ID relies on the relationship path you used in the selector field; when you change the selector, the name can't be resolved. That's why some people resort to tricks like using a very small popup to display the name from the value list, and next to it the name you look up via a conventional relationship. A click on the name field actually opens the popup, the names in the popup appear, after the selection you see the name in the related name field (where it remains happily ever after, if you don't touch the ID).

These selector mechanisms are better suited for portals. Think about a Holding selector portal that gives you a list of Cxx; clicking adds a new join records and makes item appear in a portal. You can also check very easily for people already assigned, highlight them and simply not add them.

As for the unique holding, the same caveats apply: since you already had selected all three holdings, the popup remains empty, which is correct; but of course the feedback isn't great. Consider using a larger layout and employing portals.

Check out this file; also have a look at a more elegant way to open all layouts at once …  ;)

Conditional VL Join Tables v4_eos.fmp12.zip

Thank you very much eos. Great knowledge.

First the last advise.

Check out this file; also have a look at a more elegant way to open all layouts at once …  ;)

What's wrong with my newbie way script :jester: .

Your script is just... great. I will use that good way for other things too. Not been necessary to name all layouts is great.

I have read what you pointed in the layout and I thought I understood it. I'll take another look.

There must be something wrong but now popup menus don't work.

I tryed to start from 0 and deleted all meetings and attendees, and there's nothing in the value lists now in the meeting layout.

Could you please check out your file?

Thank you very very much eos.

Why typeof doesn’t belong to JOINEXECON table?

Belonging to Executives makes that Execs can only have one “typeOf”, even if they are in two or three different Companies, and should be possible that an Exec could have different typesOf in different Companies.

First the last advise.

What's wrong with my newbie way script :jester: .

Your script is just... great. I will use that good way for other things too. Not been necessary to name all layouts is great.

Gee, it's just a loop … now if someone would write a script that closes all those windows again, except the current one … that might be truly helpful.  ;)

btw, this script will open all layouts you have at that moment; maybe devise a naming scheme for main and utility layouts, and use a script parameter or flags to open only one or the other within the loop (or find a CF that can condense a list based on a filter, then use that shorter list for the loop).

Speaking of which (what?), why don't you get rid of those popups? Here's a better solution.

If you still want to use use popups: if something doesn't work, use a layout and portal with the same relationship as the value list and see what “pops up” (in the portal!). If the portal works, then the value list will, too, and a portal can give you more feedback for debugging (put in fields to see their values etc.).

PortalsInsteadOfConditionalVL_eos.fmp12.zip

Eos you are great man.

I really appreciate your help. Many thanks for your selfless work (a lot of work).

Please let me a few days to "digest" your sample. My actual knowledge is not that good. So I'll go little by little, lol.

How does gSelectedExecs get populated in your file? I can't select a Company.

In my DB Companies don’t matter, they are only important to select their Executives as part of the Holding.

I have realized that who really attend the meetings are holdings (represented by Peter, Mary.....). So the addition of the selected Execs should also add their Holding.

I can see you do that through the variables in the adordeleteattendees script, I’m working to add it without braking anything lol.

Again thanks for your help.

“Eviscerating” your file is like a year of self-learning.

[…] (a lot of work). […]

Not really; you can actually build this by combining some templates.

Having said that … know that there are some bugs in the posted version, having to do with a late switch from a global field to a global variable for the exec selection/addition handling, and then not using it properly. (gSelectedExecs is pining for the fjords, if you get my drift.)

Here's a corrected version.

PortalsInsteadOfConditionalVL_eosv05.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3918 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.