Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Problem Printing Double Sided ID Cards

Ron Cates

This topic is 3817 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have an Evolis Dualis 3 ID Card printer. I'm integrating the creation and printing of ID Cards into our current solution. Everything is going great except for one problem. The printer can print single sided or double sided, but I can't seem to Get File Maker to print a double sided card. It prints single sided just fine.

We've been using MS word to print from, and as long as the front and the back are on separate pages it prints double sided as it should. So I set up a layout for double sided cards where the front and back are on separate pages. When I print to anything else or save as PDF they print out on separate pages. But when I print from File Maker with dual sided printing selected in the Evolis print setup it only prints the front ( page 1 ). It doesn't even print the back ( page 2 ) at all. Not even on the next card. 

I thought about working around this by saving to PDF and printing from there, which does print front and back. But when saving to PDF from File Maker the PDF shows some subtle differences. For instance, the current card I'm working on has a name that is bold and underlined. It looks fine on the card or when printed on paper. But when I save the PDF the underline ends up thicker and butts right up against the text above and it prints like that on the card which is unacceptable. ( by the way is there any way to increase the distance of the underline from the above text? Doubt it but I thought I would ask ).

I really don't want to have to print the fronts and backs separately. Especially considering the second run through will probably damage the previously printed side.

I hope someone has some ideas. I've tried setting the front and back up as separate records as well. Selected double sided printing and got the front on one card and the back on another.

So far I'm stumped and not being able to do double sided is a deal breaker for doing them out of File Maker.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Ron

-- Doh!! It's the next morning and I realized the problem pretty quickly. I had the setup set on print page range and it only showed page 1 of 1 instead of 1 of 2 and number of pages 1. Probably related to the situation where FileMaker doesn't know how many paged there are when you switch to preview mode until you navigate to the last page. Anyway, the simple fix was to select print all. Just goes to show, sometimes you just have to walk away for a time in order to come back and see the obvious :geek:

This topic is 3817 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.