Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server Admin/Best Practices

This topic is 3654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our department (code services / building inspection, small city - 50k) will be upgrading to FM13 in the near future.  We are currently on 11, and I have been the unofficial developer of our data solutions for a number of years now. I have quite a bit of experience on the user side of the system - working with the data, creating new relationships, reports, scripts, etc.  Have VERY LITTLE experience on the server side of the equation.

We have until recently maintained our own server at our site.  Recently, our server has been moved to the city's IT department, with the intention of moving away from a dedicated server for our department, and moving onto the city's main server, with a portion of the server dedicated to our needs as a "virtual machine".

My questions are two fold:

1 - from what I have read here, and on the FMS13 getting started guide, I have the feeling that this move may not be a great idea, from a performance standpoint.  Comments would be appreciated.

2 - I need to learn server admin and best practices.  Any suggestions on a good source for training?  I have found great advice over the years here at the forum, as well as ready many of the standards regarding FM development.  I need to develop a strong understanding of FM Server - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

This topic is 3654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.