VirtualList Fixed Length Variable

RSComm

This topic is 3579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have created a virtual list and I would like the variable fields to have a fixed length so that they align to give a table appearance.  Is there a way I can do this?  Is there a way to implement tab stops to effect this appearance?

Hi RSComm,

I presume you're grabbing multiple fields into your VList global variable, and then parsing out the rows by the standard virtual list technique (i.e., GetValue ( $$GLOBALVAR ; n ) where n is a stored (or calculated) row number, correct?

One way to allow treatment of the fields more like individual fields in your final display portal (and thus line them up in columns) is to only grab some sort of record id (e.g., either your primary key or FileMaker's native "record ID") into the VList variable.  Then, create a relationship from that id to the table itself in order to display all of the fields (which can then be placed into the portal as individual field controls, with full alignment possibilities).  Much easier and more elegant than trying to do it with tab controls.

I'd create an example file to demo the technique for you, but there is already a fully fleshed out example of this over at Todd Geist's Modular FileMaker site.  See the Master-Detail module over there.  Even if you're not interested in employing a master-detail layout (and, perhaps, have no interest in dropping their module into your app as is), spending a few minutes tearing it apart will give you a much better appreciation of the elegance of this technique than any demo file I could possibly mock up for this post.

hth,

Mark

• Like 1

This topic is 3579 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.