Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Column List

Tohny

This topic is 3557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to have a list view that fills a column, but when it gets to the end of the window in that column, instead of a scroll bar it populates a second, third, or forth column. If it fills all four columns it would go onto a new page. You would be able to filter the results by last name by clicking a letter at the top.

I made a mock up describing what I was hoping for.

Thank you for you help!

mockup-add_user.png

(I assume you want this for on-screen viewing, not for printing.)

If you are willing to preset the number of rows to a fixed number, you could use 4 side-by-side portals.

See also:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/475-horizontal-portal-layout/#entry196546

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/71939-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-4horizontal-portal/#entry340124

If I used 4 side by side portals how would I handle the carry over? i.e. when column 1 fills up start putting results in column 2?

I took a look at the samples you provided in the link. Those are really cool. Thats exactly the behavior I was hoping for, but I wasn't able to figure a way of having a list of names in the column, it only lets you display a single result in each column.

Thank you for your help!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to have a list view that fills a column, but when it gets to the end of the window in that column, instead of a scroll bar it populates a second, third, or forth column. If it fills all four columns it would go onto a new page. You would be able to filter the results by last name by clicking a letter at the top.

See if the attached sample helps. 

PortalPagination_eos.fmp12.zip

Hello eos,

I love your file, It does exactly what I need it to. Right now I'm attempting to recreate it inside my database.

The things I have done:

1. Copied over your scripts and changed every name in each script to match my database. 

2. I have linked all the tables together exactly how you have them in the relationship editor.

3. I have set every script trigger, page trigger, button and conditional formatting that I could find to what you have.

The problems I'm having are:

1. The names are not showing up inside the portals.

2. Whenever I click on a letter at the top it pops up with a message box saying I have no records.

3. The Previous and Next buttons, in your file have a hide object badge, but no hide conditions in the behavior section. How did you do that?

Thank you for your help.

-Tohny

The problems I'm having are:

1. The names are not showing up inside the portals.

2. Whenever I click on a letter at the top it pops up with a message box saying I have no records.

3. The Previous and Next buttons, in your file have a hide object badge, but no hide conditions in the behavior section. How did you do that?

1. That's a tad vague: don't you see any related records (portal rows), or do you see the expected number of rows, just not the correct (or any) data?

If the former, put the left-side match keys on the layout and see if they have the correct values; if necessary, change them manually and see what happens, and check why the script doesn't set the correct data. If the latter, then the TO of the name field in the portal doesn't match the portal TO.  

2. Some operations only work with at least one active record; so make sure there is one.

3. They are grouped. If you want to study their Hide condition, duplicate, then ungroup, then individually select each one.

Ahhh thank you for the information.

I added a blank record and all the scripts started working. I ungrouped the previous and next button and was able to see your hide and unhide code, thank you. 

But I was still having the same problem with the viability, but walking through your suggestions fixed it.

Turns out when I added another field to the portal, to test it out, as soon as I adjusted the size of the fullName field it stated showing up!  I have no idea why changing the size of a field would suddenly make it appear but its all working perfectly. Especially when the field was well within the portal row, not sticking out or pushing the border or anything.  

Thank you for all the help!

This topic is 3557 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.