Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automated email example

Neil879

This topic is 3528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to filemaker and have been developing a database for maintenance parts.

I have a re-order amount for items  and when the re-order amount is reached, the in stock field is highlighted red. 

So here is the  task;  I would like to implement an automated email function where when an items quantity reaches the re-order level an email is automatically sent detailing the product needing re-ordered and it's details (from a product layout). 

I've been looking for examples but can't find details of a conditional email kind of set up.

Can this be done ?

And

Could anyone give me some pointers/advice on making a start on this ?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Neil

This can probably be done multiple ways. I think a quick and easy approach is to run a script that loops through all of the records and sends out the e-mail when it finds that the current record meets the criteria. Do you have access to Filemaker Server? If so you can then schedule the script to run off hours. If not then you can either run the client manually (not really what you were looking for), run the client via Windows Scheduler (sort of have windows open up the database and when it opens it performs the script automatically, or run a timer script that will sacrifice a client to an always on script. Just some ideas. I'm sure others have a few tricks they can interject. Good luck.

when an items quantity reaches the re-order level an email is automatically sent detailing the product needing re-ordered and it's details (from a product layout). 

How does an item's quantity change? If you can identify that process (which you should), you know when and where to check the (new) current quantity against the re-order threshold.

How does an item's quantity change? If you can identify that process (which you should), you know when and where to check the (new) current quantity against the re-order threshold.

Eos,

The quantity would change through a Stock Transaction Type (Incoming/Outgoing),  that is also displayed in a Stock Transaction Report layout.

So would a script then be able to send details on that layout automatically when re-order items are displayed ?

I'm a bit confused by this to be honest, I know what I want to do, I just can't figure out how :hmm:  :hammer:

I'm not sure what a report layout has to do with the issue, or for that matter, at what point in your workflow you want a re-order mail to be sent.

When you specify the quantity for an outgoing stock transaction, I assume that the stock for the item is adjusted accordingly.

So, if it falls below the threshold as a result of the transaction, fire off the e-mail. This would be a solution for an individual mails for one item.

If, on the other hand, you want to re-order only at specific dates, or in frequent intervals, the items that need to be re-stocked, then imagine, again, the scenario of creating an outgoing transaction and specifying a quantity.

Now, if the level falls below the order threshold, instead of sending a mail, set a re-order flag (simply a number field with a 1) for the item. When the time for re-order comes, perform a search for all items that have this flag set and send an order e-mail for all records in the found set. Re-set the re-order flag either at that time, or when you input the incoming stock transactions that will put the stock level above the threshold.

I'm not sure what a report layout has to do with the issue, or for that matter, at what point in your workflow you want a re-order mail to be sent.

When you specify the quantity for an outgoing stock transaction, I assume that the stock for the item is adjusted accordingly.

So, if it falls below the threshold as a result of the transaction, fire off the e-mail. This would be a solution for an individual mails for one item.

If, on the other hand, you want to re-order only at specific dates, or in frequent intervals, the items that need to be re-stocked, then imagine, again, the scenario of creating an outgoing transaction and specifying a quantity.

Now, if the level falls below the order threshold, instead of sending a mail, set a re-order flag (simply a number field with a 1) for the item. When the time for re-order comes, perform a search for all items that have this flag set and send an order e-mail for all records in the found set. Re-set the re-order flag either at that time, or when you input the incoming stock transactions that will put the stock level above the threshold.

I should have explained that better, I'd like for each time the stock item falls below the threshold, then an email to be sent .

When I mentioned the report layout I was thinking when details are sent of the item needing reordered, what is actually sent ? full product details or some kind of re-order report with only the required details (product number, cat number, supplier etc).

Maybe a screenshot of the full record ?

Hope I've made more sense this time, quite tricky explaining problems sometimes.

~

Thanks

Neil

each time the stock item falls below the threshold, then an email to be sent

Which is the first scenario I outlined above.

what is actually sent ? full product details or some kind of re-order report with only the required details (product number, cat number, supplier etc).

You program the database/script – what you put into the e-mail is entirely up to you, and is not determined by the layout you happen to be on.

PS: Please don't quote an entire post, just the parts you're replying to in particular (like in this post).

Yes the scenario you outlined beforehand is what I wanted from the start in the first post :

"So here is the task; I would like to implement an automated email function where when an items quantity reaches the re-order level an email is automatically sent detailing the product needing re-ordered and it's details"(from my first post) 

Maybe I never just never explained it clear enough.

I know this is what I want to do, what I'm asking is how I do this, bare in mind I am new to filemaker and don't have as much experience as yourself.

Thanks

This topic is 3528 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.