Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Max Users for Filemaker PHP API

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I'm looking at converting a FM solution that is currently used with around 1000 users into an online service, and I want to keep using FileMaker as the backend.

I have read this topic http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90259-maximum-users-custom-web-publishing-concurrent-sessions/and am still not really clear - is there a limit on the number of PHP users that FileMaker can support.

I'm also looking at expanding the solution to be used with a couple of other clients which could see the user count increase 5000+.  (Of course, this is the total number of users, and the active number of users may only be 1/5th to 1/10th of this).

Thanks

Tim :)

Only 200 simultaneous users are supported, but keep in mind that each PHP session is a "user" only when data is actively being uploaded or downloaded from the database.  The fact that the php page is still being viewed on the remote user's browser is irrelevant.

To be honest, I've very rarely hit the max number of users, no matter how many are able to access the system - each transaction should only last a matter of milliseconds before finishing...

The real world limitation is the load created by those users - the web interactions are single-threaded, which means one large transaction will hold everything else up until it is completed. Get a few of those happening at the same time, and the web site will pretty much grind to a halt.

Which then means that good database design is more critical than the actual number of users....

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.