Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to Create Multiple Reminders in A Single Record?

This topic is 3432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

There is probably a simple solution to this problem that I'm not seeing but I've read through my entire 900 page FileMaker Pro Missing Manual and I can't find the appropriate answer;  I'm using FMP 13 Advanced and I have some basic experience writing scripts, etc.

Here's The Goal:  To start each day with a screen report of tasks to complete for my client files.  I want a report that says 'today you must take care of the following items..."

To keep it simple, I have a client table & a transaction table.  For each transaction that I handle for my client there is at least 25-35 documents to complete.  Certain documents are completed at the time of sale and other to be done during & after the sale over several week's time.  It's difficult to keep track of what forms have been completed.  Also I could be handling several sales at the same time compounding the administrative challenge.  I do this manually now.

Currently I use a simple chart layout with checkboxes that I manually fill in as each task is completed for each sale but I'd like to have it automated with daily reminders of forms still needing to be signed today, 1 day from now, 7 days from now, etc.

It's easy to create a single date calculation field that says I have "X" number of days until the deadline for one item but can I do this for 25-35 reminders and ... (Here's the challenge) have a daily report telling me what is still due?  

I'm thinking I may have to create a "task" table that would have a related record for each one of the forms I need to complete on each client and have it connected to my transaction table.  Then a script to search all relevant dates across all records.  But that seems like so much redundancy to have 30+ records for one transaction file.

Is there an easier way?  Thanks in Advance!

Have a look at the Tasks starter solution.  I modified it to track my home remodel projects.  You create 'projects' and assign start/end dates to 'tasks' When you bring up a 'project' it will show you all the 'tasks', their due dates, and their level of 'complete-ness'

For some reason I cant attach a link, just google FileMaker Starter Solutions.

Currently I use a simple chart layout with checkboxes that I manually fill in as each task is completed for each sale

But that seems like so much redundancy to have 30+ records for one transaction file.

I am not sure I completely understand what "a simple chart layout with checkboxes" means. The issue with checkboxes in general is that an item can be either on or off - and nothing else. If you want to track things like due date, date completed or any other attribute of a task, then you must have a record for each.  There's no redundancy here, because each Task is different and it should hold only data that is specific to the particular instance of the task as related to the parent transaction.

• Newbies

Have a look at the Tasks starter solution.  I modified it to track my home remodel projects.  You create 'projects' and assign start/end dates to 'tasks' When you bring up a 'project' it will show you all the 'tasks', their due dates, and their level of 'complete-ness'

For some reason I cant attach a link, just google FileMaker Starter Solutions.

Steve - Thanks for your suggestion!  I think that starter solution will work with some customization to fit my business.  It's pretty close to what I was looking for so I have a good foundation.  Jeff

I am not sure I completely understand what "a simple chart layout with checkboxes" means. The issue with checkboxes in general is that an item can be either on or off - and nothing else. If you want to track things like due date, date completed or any other attribute of a task, then you must have a record for each.  There's no redundancy here, because each Task is different and it should hold only data that is specific to the particular instance of the task as related to the parent transaction.

You're correct but I wasn't seeing it in my head that way.  After looking at the Tasks starter solution it made sense to me that each task would have to be a separate record.  I'm going to take the starter solution and customize it for my application.  Thank you for your input!

This topic is 3432 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.