This topic is 2046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I looked at the tool only briefly.

Sorry it does not have exactly the functionality you want.

Pitch an improvement suggestion to RCC maybe.

Theme / style data does not seem to be included in the DDR so my guess would not possible. I might be wrong.

Are you that concerned with CSS overhead or is their some other benefit you see?

Just curious...

Happy Holiday

K

How to find orphaned styles...are you that concerned with CSS overhead or is their some other benefit you see?

Hi Kris,

It's mostly just out of curiosity if it can be done at this point. It's that "enquiring minds want to know" thing  :)

Happy Holidays to you, as well!

-Kent

Kent, the generous people at RCC has released the above mentioned tool for free. This means that you can go in and modify the tool, so you could get a list of the custom styles used and compare to a list of styles defined. That way, you should be able to see which styles is not used.

• Like 1

Hey Kent, I thought of you when I found this!  You, and everyone, CAN find which styles are unused in a theme!  And much more!

Check out fmXRaySpecs http://workflowdata.com/fmxrayspecs.html

It is free!

You perform similar process as RCC (select all objects on a layout and copy to clipboard) and it creates records from the objects.  It will Identify object names (you can search & sort), button names, conditional formatting, value lists attached and … drumroll … style names.  After you collect into fmXRaySpecs objects from all your layouts (a good informational tool anyway), sort by style and, comparing to your style tab in inspector, see what is unused.

But even more powerfully ... if you select an item in the list, you can display a graphical representation of the object highlighted on the layout to help you pinpoint it!  Wow!  I don't know about you but I've been tripped by an invisible object name that I couldn't find on a layout.  It also shows where styles have been overridden (which you will want to search for and usually fix). This all works for other areas in FM as well, such as scripts. Check it out, it does much more than I've explained also.

Did I mention it is free!!!  Sorry, it is currently Mac only.  I am really pumped about this!  It's great that we have these tools available.

• Like 1

This topic is 2046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Asu
      I have a button script that changes the size of a selection in a text field. 
      This is it:
      Insert Calculated Result [ TextSize ( Middle ( Get ( ActiveFieldContents ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionStart ) ; Get ( ActiveSelectionSize ) ) ; $size ) ]  A problem with this is that if the selection begins with styled characters (bold, underlined, etc) then the entire resized area becomes styled. If there is at least 1 unstyled character before the first styled one, then all styled and unstyled characters remain as they were. What is missing from the calculation? 
    • By HOnza
      [FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE]

24U releases 24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0 for FileMaker 17
      The popular toolbox of external functions for FileMaker® 17 now can convert rich-text to HTML with CSS

Prague, CZ — October 30, 2018 — 24U Software has released version 3.0 of 24U Toolbox Plug-In, and update of their popular toolbox of useful external function for daily use in FileMaker Pro 13 thru 17

The new version adds convert rich-text to HTML with CSS, support for Native iOS FM Go apps and Support for FileMaker Cloud.
      24U Toolbox Plug-In 3 can convert rich-text to HTML with CSS, producing much cleared and customizable results than GetAsCSS. By producing clean dynamic HTML content the websites will render faster and rank higher in search engines.

What's new in this version:
      - Get rich text as HTML to generate crystal clean HTML and CSS
      - Support for Native iOS FM Go apps
      - Support for FileMaker Cloud

About 24U Toolbox Plug-In:
      24U Toolbox Plug-In is a robust FileMaker Pro plug-in which allows your FileMaker Pro databases to:
      - Execute FileMaker or System shell scripts to automate tasks inside/outside of FileMaker Pro
      - Execute SQL commands to develop faster and keep your solution clean
      - Match & replace regular expressions to find & replace text fast using patterns
      - Merge data values into text while maintaining styling to apply templates quickly and easily
      - Lookup DNS name for IP & vice versa to find out who is connecting from where
      - Get current public IP to know more about clients and discover potential security attacks
      - Define global keyboard shortcuts to avoid unnecessarily excessive use of script triggers
      - Obtain precise microsecond timestamps to measure nearly unmeasurable chunks of time
      - Get the type of a FileMaker variable to let your scripts make the right decisions
      - Share variables between databases to avoid creating too many external data sources

Recommended configuration:
      Mac: Any Intel Mac, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced or newer.
      Windows: 1.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or newer, FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced or newer.
      FileMaker Cloud: EC2 Instance type: t2.medium, FileMaker Cloud 17 or newer.

Minimum configuration:
      Mac: Any Intel Mac since 2008, 2048 MB RAM, Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite, FileMaker Pro 13.
      Windows: 1 GHz processor, 2048 MB RAM, Windows 7, FileMaker Pro 13.
      FileMaker Cloud: EC2 Instance type: t2.small, FileMaker Cloud 16.

Availability and Pricing of  24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0
      24U Toolbox Plug-In 3.0 is immediately available for download free of charge as a fully functional 14-days trial version, which can be activated after purchasing a license.
      Licenses for 24U SimpleHasp Plug-In start at US$49 per user, $499 per server. Volume discounts are available for 5 or more users.
      Existing customers can upgrade to the new version at 30 % off the regular prices. Until 13 November 2018 customers can upgrade at 50 % off the regular prices!

More information: https://www.24usoftware.com/Toolbox/
      Download: https://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#download
      Buy: https://www.24uSoftware.com/Toolbox#buy

About 24U Software
      With a team of full-time testers, web, plug-in, Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android native app developers, and FileMaker certified developers, led by the FileMaker DevCon 2015 Developer Cup champion, 24U excels in taking care of existing FileMaker solutions, optimizing their performance, identifying and resolving potential issues and liabilities, improving reliability, stability and scalability, integrating them with other systems including various hardware devices, and extending them beyond expectation.

As a platinum member of the FileMaker Business Alliance, we help global businesses around the world to maintain sustainable growth by working with their in-house developers or completely taking care of the maintenance and development of their business solutions.

Customer contact:
      HOnza Koudelka
      Software Division Manager, 24U s.r.o.
      sales@24usoftware.com
      http://www.24usoftware.com

Press Contact:
      pr@24uSoftware.com

###

(c)2018 24U s.r.o. All rights reserved. 24U, 24U Software, and FM Bench are trademarks of 24U s.r.o. FileMaker is a trademark of FileMaker, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Pricing and availability are subject to change without notice.
    • By naio
      I'm about to start a solution that needs quite an amount of layout forms and I would like to create a consistent design based on my own custom theme that has already been developed in a separate file. I use Material Design specs as style guideline and the solution is build under the separation model, so all the data is in a hosted file.
      I'm considering one of these two strategies:
      Create a repository of interface elements (text fields, tab controls, combos, portals, etc.) in a separate file (that's mostly done) and copy generic elements into my solution as I build the needed layouts  or Create layouts quickly, overlooking style and apply my theme when all of them are functional I see a drawback on the first option: if I want my element repository to continue useful I will need to keep the theme updates simultaneously in both files
      The second option looks more practical because it will allow me to focus on the data and just worry about the look at the end of the process.
      What do you think is the most productive strategy?
    • By Binu Alexander
      I need a layout with larger number of text fields which may have long words .. currently words are being split randomly and overflowing into new lines ..    eg .. for the word 'accordingly';   'accordingl' comes on the first line and 'ly' comes on the second line. Is there a way that filemaker can hyphenate large words and insert breaks so that  it breaks in a more clean manner ?

• By salim
      Hi. 
      I want to change the default title bar of filemaker pro, i know about kiosk mode, is there a better way to achive this without forcing my application to go full screen..?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    travstravz 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.