Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Validating a backup path

This topic is 3370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to move the backup path from one NAS to another on our Windows domain. The existing path is simply filewin://<servername>/corp/FMS-backup/ (corp/ is a share on that server, and yes, even with the extra slash after "filewin" the path still validates.

The new path is filewin:/<differentservername>/services/backups/fms-backup/ (services/ is a share on the new server). This path will not validate, either with or without the extra slash after filewin. We've tried mapping <differentserver>/services/ to a driveletter, but that won't validate, either. In fact, no path to any machine on our network other than the server where backups currently are, and the server Filemaker Server is currently installed on, will validate.

I doubt it's a permissions issue since any user on our domain, regardless of permissions, can navigate to any of these paths. Obviously I can get to any of these paths from Windows Explorer from the server hosting FMS. I'm pretty baffled as to what the problem could be. The new NAS is a Synology server with an EXT4 filesystem, but I don't think that's the issue since I can't validate to any other server either, and they're all running NTFS.

What version of FMS is this?

At some point FMI took away the ability to backup directly to a NAS / network share because:

- it is much slower than backing up to the local hard disk

- more fragile because of network interference

so in all there is more risk of you not ending up with your intended backup

So do the backup locally and then use an OS-level script to copy or move the backup set to your NAS.

While it works on your other NASes, that's more luck than design.  Don't expect it to work.

Interesting. Okay, that shouldn't be a problem. The main issue, after all, is just trying to back up an open database file. So I'll just point the backup folder to the same drive as FMS is installed on, and then get our backup software to back that folder up.

Problem solved. Thanks!

Be very careful how you do this.  You don't want the enterprise backup process running while the FileMAker Server backup process is in motion.  Additionally, avoid OS level file sharing in this arrangement.  Perhaps your best option is to push out the FMS backup to some other location and have the enterprise backup program pick it up there.

Steven

This topic is 3370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.