Relationship and Related Records

This topic is 3235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

Can somebody please advice me on what will happen to my records in a related table if i delete the existing relationship in order to insert a table in between? Or what and how possible a solution if i would like to add another table as a join?

Many Thanks,

Miss A!

Deleting a relationship in the graph will affect any calculations, autoenter lookups and the like that traverse (in both directions) the relationship to be deleted.

The pk and fk values on either side shouldn't be affected

Edited by Kris M

It depends what your TO does. Please post a picture and circle the TO you're thinking about removing. You can really cripple your solutions or it might not be a big deal at all. It's impossible to tell without seeing it.

I forgot to mention that any scripts or calculations that work with tables/records that utilize the relationship will also break.

+1 to Agnes

The tone of my earlier post may have suggested that it would be safe to delete.

It is NOT safe if the expectation is delete the relationship, dont check/fix anything, and the solution will continue to run as before the deletion.

Is it safe if, after the relationship is deleted, every possible break point is checked and repaired.

Edited by Kris M

If you have table A related to table B and insert table C between them, as long as the relationship passes through C so that tables A and B are related in the same manner nothing should break.

In the attached structures, one project has many tasks - what i want and don't know how to go about it is:

to have another table that will have Sub-Projects so then that each project in the Projects table can have one or more Sub Projects - Then the Sub projects can have one or more Tasks.

I am thinking then to create a Table(Sub Projects)  and insert the Sub Projects TO between the Projects and Tasks TO's. This will mean breaking the existing relation between Projects and Tasks.

Already there are records in Projects as well as the one or more Tasks related. I am worried that this exercise could destroy the relation of the Projects and their particular tasks.

Thank you for assisting further.

Screen Shot 2015-07-10 at 09.24.23.png

This topic is 3235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.