Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 2985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hiya,

1st of all - I have personally refrained from posting for help on a forum as I wanted to try and read, learn and solve my problems using trial and error! I am learning the FMP platform from scratch and am currently in week 2 of it.

My question relates to a file I have attached to this post - the products area.
For each product I have a number of 'size options' within it and each with their own unique SKU (stock keeping unit). Each SKU needs its own barcode. My job now is to produce a method to easily assign an 'available' barcode to a specific SKU.

Barcodes are purchased from GS1 and are globally unique. I have a table hosting a pool of barcodes that I have available to me. They can only be assigned to one SKU and once assigned, needs to be removed from the available selection of barcodes in this pool.

Issues
I wanted to set a placeholder text for 'EAN-13' field in the product layout (this is the barcode). This field is a button! When clicked it can perform a script to open a popover or window containing all barcodes that do not have a 'ProductOptionID' assigned to it.

• How do I structure this script?
    • Click the EAN field button - this sets the 'ProductOptionID' variable globally (is this correct to do) - [$$productOptionID]
    • The script then opens the object 'Barcodes'. This is a popover button with a portal inside filtering all barcodes from the pool that do NOT have a productOptionID value in the foreign key field
    • The script must then pause whilst I manually select a barcode and set a $BarcodeID variable?
      • Or should I script it to pick a barcode at random from the pool of available barcodes (i've already set a script to give available a figure of 1 and unavailable a figure of 0)
    • Then the script must put the BarcodeID variable in the product option record
  • Is the above the right way to go about it?
  • I also need a way to un-assign a barcode from a product and therefore remove the value from the product option id field in the barcode pool

I have one more query. I have a relationship between Product Option table and the Barcode Pool. This relationship is O2M the barcodeIDpk with a lookup for the actual EAN (barcode) value on the Product Option table. When I set a barcode ID in the Product Option table - shouldn't the ProductOptionIDfk field update in the Barcode pool with the ID of the product option that the barcode is assigned to??

I am convinced I had it working earlier - but not anymore and cannot see to figure out why?

See my relationship graph below and the solution attached.

Thanks,
Luke

CRM Trial barcode.fmp12

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 11.51.44.png

Edited by Lee Smith
removed Q: not necessary

This topic is 2985 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.