This topic is 2871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, 

I am extremely new to Filemaker. I've been trying to learn it but time always dictates. I am trying to create what I believe is a simple database. What I am trying to do is to have a very basic system to track parts usage by our mechanics by either barcode or part number. Basically the mechanic would come up to the computer. Enter a unit #, worker order #, date,  part #(either by manual entry or upc.) and qty.  Then I would like to be able to print a report in the morning that will display Unit #, work order #, date, part # and qty. I can then take this information and enter it into our system. The problem I have is our system doesn't allow bar coding. Also some of our parts don't have barcodes such as tires and brass fittings so I need a manual part entry. I can't have the report show a upc number. So I need to have a way for the database to take the upc and switch to show the part # it is related to. I can get the system to work fine and show the repor that I want. The only problem I have is I can't get it to switch the upc to the part #. I was wondering if some one could take a look at what I have done and inform me on what I could do. I am not looking for someone to do it for me. Just give me some guiding information. I wanted to say thank you in advance for any information you can supply.

Inventory 2.fmp12

Which type of system are you entering the info into?  Maybe it can be scripted?

Are all entries into your system currently done manually?

Can a part have more then one UPC?  If not, it shouldn't be on a separate table, but should be an attribute of the product, as well as the part number.

This topic is 2871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.