Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MAC FMS10 ODBC fuctionality

2 posts in this topic

I have an application with a FMS10 server under Tiger, multiple FM9/10 clients, & a remote MySQL/PHP/Ajax/Apache webserver.

We need Filemaker 9 to make reports based on data from both FMS and MySQL tables. The FM programmer we use proposes to put an ODBC driver on one of the client machines, have it interrogate the MySQL server, and then build the reports only on that machine.

I am wondering if it is possible to have FMS-10 instead do the connection to the MySQL, so that any client could read the data & create reports. But I'm clueless as to what server ODBC support really means.

"Server ODBC support" means that FMS can act as a data host so that data clients can retrieve filemaker data through ODBC and JDBC. You're talking about making the server a data client with MySQL being the data host.

Look into the ESS feature of FileMaker Pro and Server. That supports making a connection to MySQL (from the server) so that all FM Pro clients can see the MySQL data.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• ODBC Driver Installation and Connection
      By GisMo
      Has anyone else experienced any installation issues of the latest FM14 64 bit windows ODBC Driver? Now matter how I try to run the installer, it seems to flash on the screen and then kill itself...If I can get this to work, Next will be the connection string
    • FileMaker points to wrong database
      By Jos van Esch
      We have one Microsoft SQL Server with two different databases (Test and Production) on it. We connect to these databases with FileMaker Pro 14 with an external data source (ODBC). We have copied the Production FileMaker database to the Test database and changed the DSN settings (which has different credentials for Production and the Test environment!). The new Test environment is still pointing to the SQL Server Production database. How can we achieve that the FileMaker Test database points to the SQL Server Test database and the FileMaker Production database to the SQL Server Production database? The FileMaker Test and Production databases are installed on the same server.
    • how to update field to current record from oracle
      By vargas
      I need some help.  I have  a database with id and need to update the name of the current record only from an oracle database.  I can connect (odbc) to the oracle database and can import by match, but there are some many records and takes a while. Is there a better solution, like jdbc, or a plugin. Currently using filemaker 14 on windows 7.  Please advice.
    • Filemaker not importing to mySQL correctly
      By John.M
      I'm in the middle of upgrading from FM11 to FM13/14 and found sets of data will not import to mySQL correctly. Instead of the found set importing, the whole table gets imported. I get the same result on FMPA 13 and FMPA 14 32 bit. FMPA 14 64 bit won't even import at all. This process has been working for years in v11 and older versions.
      Server: mac 
      Client: Windows 7
      mySQL: 5.6, ODBC driver: 5.2 and both the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers connect to mySQL successfully.
      Anybody else have this issue?
    • Interrelating FileMaker and ArcGIS databases
      By Tony Morosco
      I am investigating interrelating FileMaker and ArcGIS databases.  I am from the botanical world and design databases on a simplified level, so please bear with me!
      For instance, (and this is an over-simplified version) in both ArcGIS and FileMaker, we have a field in our databases which lists a plants status as alive or dead.  Both of these databases are available outside, in the garden.  We often would like to update just one source, and correct a plant's status in the garden on both systems.  This would alter both the ArcGIS and the FileMaker databases, through just one update, probably in FileMaker Pro is my guess.
      I am imagining this can be accomplished through JDBC, ODBC, or SQL.  Ideally it would be via SQL.  It will provide a portal between the two systems, and update each others tables whenever the need arises.
      From what I understand, this should be possible.  If for some reason we can't get the two databases talking directly with each other, perhaps inter-relating the two with a back-end SQL database is a possibility?  We may try to build a FileMaker web portal to an ArcGIS web-viewer which can be updated, but it is kinda kludgey and does not update both tables.
      If anyone knows a method how this can be accomplished, please let me know!  Or reccomendations on where I can post to the correct forum. 
      And please let me know if I am not making any sense or I am garbling the language.  I am known for both. ;-)