Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmstar

MAC FMS10 ODBC fuctionality

2 posts in this topic

I have an application with a FMS10 server under Tiger, multiple FM9/10 clients, & a remote MySQL/PHP/Ajax/Apache webserver.

We need Filemaker 9 to make reports based on data from both FMS and MySQL tables. The FM programmer we use proposes to put an ODBC driver on one of the client machines, have it interrogate the MySQL server, and then build the reports only on that machine.

I am wondering if it is possible to have FMS-10 instead do the connection to the MySQL, so that any client could read the data & create reports. But I'm clueless as to what server ODBC support really means.

Thanks...

"Server ODBC support" means that FMS can act as a data host so that data clients can retrieve filemaker data through ODBC and JDBC. You're talking about making the server a data client with MySQL being the data host.

Look into the ESS feature of FileMaker Pro and Server. That supports making a connection to MySQL (from the server) so that all FM Pro clients can see the MySQL data.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• ODBC Unhandled exception
      By dalton5
      Hi,
      I am developing a c# application and connecting to FM SErver 14.
      But I always have the following problem:
      Unhandled exception at 0x0BB51FE0 (fmodbc32.dll) in xxx.exe: RangeChecks instrumentation code detected an out of range array access
      Would you have an idea?
      I am using Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015.
      Thanks,
    • ODBC Error
      By Cerbera
      Hi all,
      It's me again....
      I've temporarily gotten around my issues with "required value" fields in SQL data by adding a default value to all blank fields, however I have now found another error.
      I have a table of customers (BP_Details) which is retrieved from SQL server view using a DSN.
      I then have a local Filemaker table ("BPAddon") which I've linked to the BP_Detials table using a unique customer ID field.
      I wish to populate the records in the addon table via the Cusomter layout to supplement the data from SQL.
      As there are no records in the addon table I've selected "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" on the add on table side.
      I can browse records fine, however as soon as I add data in a field on the addon table I receive an ODBC error: "You cannot specify scroll locking on a cursor that contains a remote table".
      Am I doing something wrong in the relationship?

Thanks for any help!

• Connecting to Amazon Redshift Data Warehouse
      By CEATH Company
      We have a client that maintains a fairly large data warehouse on Amazon's Redshift service.  We're now being asked to build a FileMaker solution that will access that data.  We have the FileMaker solution built (hosted on our own FileMaker Server 14 server) and we now need to access the data on Redshift.  Does anyone have experience connecting via ODBC to Redshift?  Is there any documentation on that yet?  We feel like we're close, but the Amazon documentation doesn't know about FileMaker, and the FileMaker ODBC documentation doesn't specifically mention Redshift so we think we're just missing something.

Advice on how to set up FileMaker to access Amazon Redshift via ODBC would be most appreciated.
    • ODBC Driver Installation and Connection
      By GisMo
      Has anyone else experienced any installation issues of the latest FM14 64 bit windows ODBC Driver? Now matter how I try to run the installer, it seems to flash on the screen and then kill itself...If I can get this to work, Next will be the connection string
    • FileMaker points to wrong database
      By Jos van Esch
      We have one Microsoft SQL Server with two different databases (Test and Production) on it. We connect to these databases with FileMaker Pro 14 with an external data source (ODBC). We have copied the Production FileMaker database to the Test database and changed the DSN settings (which has different credentials for Production and the Test environment!). The new Test environment is still pointing to the SQL Server Production database. How can we achieve that the FileMaker Test database points to the SQL Server Test database and the FileMaker Production database to the SQL Server Production database? The FileMaker Test and Production databases are installed on the same server.