Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmstar

MAC
FMS10 ODBC fuctionality

2 posts in this topic

I have an application with a FMS10 server under Tiger, multiple FM9/10 clients, & a remote MySQL/PHP/Ajax/Apache webserver.

We need Filemaker 9 to make reports based on data from both FMS and MySQL tables. The FM programmer we use proposes to put an ODBC driver on one of the client machines, have it interrogate the MySQL server, and then build the reports only on that machine.

I am wondering if it is possible to have FMS-10 instead do the connection to the MySQL, so that any client could read the data & create reports. But I'm clueless as to what server ODBC support really means.

Thanks...

"Server ODBC support" means that FMS can act as a data host so that data clients can retrieve filemaker data through ODBC and JDBC. You're talking about making the server a data client with MySQL being the data host.

Look into the ESS feature of FileMaker Pro and Server. That supports making a connection to MySQL (from the server) so that all FM Pro clients can see the MySQL data.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By slbr549
      I am using Excel 365 on desktop and FileMaker Pro Advanced 15 with FileMaker Server. 
      I am able to connect to FileMaker from Excel using ODBC to read all records in a table or matching it to a hard coded name. Sample:
      Select work FROM "Student Time Import" WHERE badgename="Patrick Dollar"
      What I'd like to do is add a where clause where it selects hours worked based on the date in the Excel spreadsheet. The cell's date is B12 and so on.  I know my syntax is wrong, but after several attempts, I haven't been able to solve it. Here is my syntax:
      Select work FROM "Student Time Import" WHERE badgename="Patrick Dollar" and date = TimeSHeet(Select * FROM[SHRA Temp Timesheet.Range("B12).Value])
      Thanks.

• By gczychi
      Hi,
      accessing external SQL resources from within FileMaker is quite common. But how do I go about the exact opposite?
      I have an import_nwde:: table in a fmp12 file hosted on FMS 15.
      I have switched on ODBC in FMS.
      I can access the tables with Windows and Mac (using the Filemaker ODBC drivers specifically installed to do this).
      But how can I write into this table from within a MySQL database running on a LAMP machine? Whenever something happens on the website, I need to process the data in FileMaker.

Thanks a lot for any help,
      Gary
    • By Floriano Vassallo
      how to edit scripts by displaying a repeating field ?
    • By DataLackey
      Hi,
      I'm trying to use Filemaker to manage a mysql database on Amazon RDS. I'm trying to set up an import layout that will allow users to load data into into the RDS database.
      Mostly, Filemaker and mysql are playing well together. But I'm getting a problem when I try import data using LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE . I've run the query successfully with a different client on the same database (Sequel Pro) but when I run it using the Execute SQL script step in Filemaker I get an error, with the message "Load data local infile forbidden".
      I've looked around online, and it seems like I need the server and client to both enable 'local_infile'. I know it's enabled on the server (because I can check manually, and the query works on a different client). Does anyone know how to check or change this within Filemaker?
      Otherwise, does anyone have any ideas as to how I might work around this? Unfortunately I can't call a stored procedure on the server because the query relies on variables. My understanding is that you can't use variables in a LOAD DATA INFILE statement on the server, and you can't use LOAD DATA INFILE in a prepared statement.
      Does anyone know how to change the local_infile variable within the Filemaker mysql client, or failing that, does anyone have a good workaround for the restriction on variables with the LOAD DATA INFILE statement if I run it on the server?

In case it's not already blatantly obvious, I don't really know what I'm doing, so any help (especially help that is dumbed down) would be hugely appreciated.
      Thanks,
      John