Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rmstar

MAC FMS10 ODBC fuctionality

2 posts in this topic

I have an application with a FMS10 server under Tiger, multiple FM9/10 clients, & a remote MySQL/PHP/Ajax/Apache webserver.

We need Filemaker 9 to make reports based on data from both FMS and MySQL tables. The FM programmer we use proposes to put an ODBC driver on one of the client machines, have it interrogate the MySQL server, and then build the reports only on that machine.

I am wondering if it is possible to have FMS-10 instead do the connection to the MySQL, so that any client could read the data & create reports. But I'm clueless as to what server ODBC support really means.

Thanks...

"Server ODBC support" means that FMS can act as a data host so that data clients can retrieve filemaker data through ODBC and JDBC. You're talking about making the server a data client with MySQL being the data host.

Look into the ESS feature of FileMaker Pro and Server. That supports making a connection to MySQL (from the server) so that all FM Pro clients can see the MySQL data.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Trigger a script when a field value is changed via ODBC
      By djlane
      I'm creating a simple system to update a remote FM file from an android device, using Cellica Database". http://www.cellica.com/Products.html
      An ODBC connection has been created, and I can add, modify and delete records in my FM database from my android.
      I want to trigger a script in FM when a field is modified via the ODBC connection. None of the native FM script triggers work as they are dependent on layouts or user actions. I have tried DoScript, Scriptmaster and EventScript - using field validation. All work OK if I modify the value within FM, but none trigger when the value is modified via ODBC.  With EventScript and DoScript, I get a failure message on the device that the record failed validation. With ScriptMaster "CallScriptImmediately", the record updates OK, but the script is not triggered.
      Any suggestions ?

• ODBC DNS information error
      By dysong3
      HI all,

I am a novice with ODBC.  I am trying to set up an ODBC access and am having a bit of trouble.  Perhaps someone can steer me in the right direction. My set up is FMS 13 on one dedicated machine.  And FMPA 14 on several other machines. On the server the ODBC Manager succeeds in establishing a "system DNS" with access to a given file.  However on the other computers I get this message

I have given read and write permissions to the file odic.ini and its enclosing folder and yet I keep on getting this error message. I have installed the latest ODBC drivers, opened port 2399, installed the latest FM updates for xDBC in their various versions.  I'm at a loss 
    • FM13 to view MS Access table
      By Scott Pon
      I'm at a loss, or maybe I overt-thinked this or missed the obvious answer.
      I have a Filemaker 13 Database on a Filemaker Server.  I also have some additional data in MS Access.  A user has requested to show some MS access data on to the FM database.  So I created a ODBC connection.  and connected it to my test access db.
      Attempt #1: I created a test FM file.  I started with "Import Records"-> "ODBC Data Source".  I selected my Data Source.  It asks for Username / PW.  I get to "SQL Query Builder".  
      BUT: when I select the table, the Columns' box does not fill in.  I checked the Access DB and gave "Users" Administrator Access.  but still this box does not fill in.
      Attempt #2: Manage-> External Data Sources.  I click "New".  I choose "ODBC".  for DSN I selected my ODBC Source.  For simplicity sake, I left Authentication as "Prompt for username and password"  I clicked "OK. It added to the External Data Sources list.
      BUT: when I go to Manage -> Database and tried to add to the relationship, it goes "The ODBC Data Source you have selected is not supported" then I'm stuck
      So is this possible, having Filemaker add an Access as a data source?

• ODBC Unhandled exception
      By dalton5
      Hi,
      I am developing a c# application and connecting to FM SErver 14.
      But I always have the following problem:
      Unhandled exception at 0x0BB51FE0 (fmodbc32.dll) in xxx.exe: RangeChecks instrumentation code detected an out of range array access
      Would you have an idea?
      I am using Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015.
      Thanks,
    • ODBC Error
      By Cerbera
      Hi all,
      It's me again....
      I've temporarily gotten around my issues with "required value" fields in SQL data by adding a default value to all blank fields, however I have now found another error.
      I have a table of customers (BP_Details) which is retrieved from SQL server view using a DSN.
      I then have a local Filemaker table ("BPAddon") which I've linked to the BP_Detials table using a unique customer ID field.
      I wish to populate the records in the addon table via the Cusomter layout to supplement the data from SQL.
      As there are no records in the addon table I've selected "allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" on the add on table side.
      I can browse records fine, however as soon as I add data in a field on the addon table I receive an ODBC error: "You cannot specify scroll locking on a cursor that contains a remote table".
      Am I doing something wrong in the relationship?

Thanks for any help!