Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spidey

FM Relationship Error Message

3 posts in this topic

In my attachment, when I search for "Cutting tools" in the main table. It produces the following message.  Is there a way I can get rid of this message.  I think I know why because I got my product line through calculation of look up.  

"This operation cannot be performed because one or more of the relationships between these tables are invalid. "

fmdata.fp7

fmdata.fp7

newfmdata.fp7

Edited by Spidey

The problem is not how to get rid of the message, but how to fix your relationship. Currently it relies on circular logic. Could you provide some meaningful names to your tables, so that we know what they represent? I get the impression your "Main" table is Products, and "Subdata" is ProductLines  (parent of Products). If this is correct, they should be related as shown in the attached file.

I have no idea what the "Subdata2" table is supposed to be.

fmdata.fp7

Edited by comment

Thank you for your reply.  

Edited by Spidey

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Guy_Smith
      I am trying to set up a database to calculate and report exhaust emissions from diesel engines and am stumped at Step #1:  The infamous Entity Relationship Diagram!
      I am looking at a few thousand engines and need to calculate how much of what kind of pollutants they kick out into the air.  I have spreadsheets that list the Year of Manufacture, the horsepower, the serial number, how long the engine ran during a given year and how much fuel it consumed during that year.  I also have some spreadsheets that list what the Emission Factors, usually expressed in pounds per hour operated or pounds per gallon of fuel consumed, for each of the two dozen chemical compounds I’m interested in tracking.
      Those emissions are relatively simple to calculate:  Multiply the Emission Factor times the number of hours operated (or times the gallons of fuel consumed) and we’re done.  Except for the fact that the Emission Factors are based on the Year of Manufacture and, in some cases, the horsepower rating of the engine, so I have to circle back around to the Engine table:  I don’t know how to connect the emission factor for, say, Arsenic to a specific engine, say a 154 hp Chevy made in 2014,  based on that engine’s year of manufacture and hp rating.
      So my ERD keeps looking something like this:  Engines --->Emission Factors--->Engines   or   Engines ---<  Emissions >---Emission Factors--->Engines
      My computer keeps puking ones and zeroes all over my keyboard when I try either setup in my Relationship Graph!
      The only other way I can think of accomplishing these seemingly simple calculations is to write a boatload of scripts with variables, but I’m not even sure I could come up with all of the combinations/permutations involved.  And, unfortunately, I can’ even spell SQL, let alone know how to execute one of ‘em!
      I have attached a (simplified) copy of the spreadsheets I currently use to better explain my problem.  I hope one of you will find this to be mind-numbingly simple and explain how it should be done.  Thanks very much for your time and consideration.
      Sincerely,
      Guy
      Engine Emissions Calc Sheet MOD for FMF.xlsx
    • By Rikki
      Hi guys,
      Sorry I do not know the terminology of what I need.
      I am trying to setup a database to record some info on postcodes. What I need to do is, each supplier can have 4 types of lead (back data, profile, survey, 2nd use). I have two tables for suppliers and postcodes already. I also have 2 join tables for many to many relationships. I need each field in the postcodes database to be able to store a count for each supplier's lead type.
      Eg:
      Supplier    - Lead Type - Postcode - Count
      Supplier A - Back Data - AB            - 20
                                           - BB            - 155
                                           - CB            - 30

Profile     - AB             - 55
                                          - BB             - 27
      My problem is with the way I have set the relationships up currently. When I add a count for a postcode it adds that count for all suppliers. I need the postcode count to be specific to each supplier and lead type.
      Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this working correctly? I have attached a screenshot of my relationships.
      Thanks

• By avo388
      Hello!
      I have re configuring the Research Notes Starter Solution - it works quite well for what I need. But I want to create a couple of extra tabs with portals, but I'm having trouble understanding the how the current IDs are being created (using a calculation) for the TYPE MATCH FIELD in the Data table for Notes, Documents and Media?
      Could anyone help me understand this? Should I just build it from scratch? I'm using Version 14.
      Thanks for your time.
    • By fireandlight
      I've driven myself more or less crazy trying to figure this out on my own. The relationships themselves are rather simple: Each project has a list of questions. Each question has a person who created the question, and someone the question is assigned to. A question also has a number of responses associated with it which each have their own "creator".
      There are 3 main tables to cover: Questions, People, and Responses
      People consists of 3 fields: The UID, the person's name, and the person's email address Questions has 2 fields which relate to People: creatorID and assigneeID Responses has 1 field which relates to People: creatorID. The way the relationship graph is set up now, I have 3 instances of the People table that relate the UID field to the appropriate ID field in Questions or Responses as needed.
      What I want to happen is when I set an Assignee or Creator for a question or response, I want to use the corresponding record details from the People table - if one does not exist, then create a new one. Instead what happens is a get a new record in the people table every time. Even if I set the Layout field to give me a drop down of the existing values (and I use it to select one when, say, setting the assignee on a question) it still creates a new record. So confused... any help is much appreciated.
    • By JoP
      I have a solution with 4 Databases. There is the main-data-database on a Filemaker Server (only data, no relationships in the Table-Occurences (TOs)) and a GUI Database on the Desktop (only Layouts, TO's are included from the Server-Database and on this TO's the relationships are defined, so I can use them in the Layouts. Than I have a 3rd database, which is a subset of the server database and lies on an iPad. This 2 data-databases will be synchronised by MirrorSync. And the 4th Database is a special GUI Database on the iPad which uses the 3rd database for Data. The iPad GUI Database also holds TO's with relationships.
      Now, I need a custom privilege set to forbid changes and deletions of records when they are marked as Locked. To see all tables in the privilege dialogs, I can only do this in my data-databases, because in the GUI databases I can't see the tables in the dialogs. But in the data-databases I have no relationships defined, so I can't use related tables in the formulas. Now I have to add these relationships also to the data-databases. Is there a simple way to "copy" them from one database to an other?
      Thanks, Hans