JoP

Disable data change on field value

Hi,

I've a solution with FilemakerGo where the users insert data. When all data is inserted, the user clicks a button which sets the field "lockRecord" to "Y" and from now on, changes should be avoided. I tried the following solution, that I inserted a rectangle control on top over all fields, and set the "Hide object if" to lockRecord unequal to "Y". This works fine as long as the rectangle control has a background-color. But in this case, I can't see the underlaying fields anymore ;-) When I set the background-color to transparent, I can see all fields with values, but changing of the field values is still possible ;-(

How can I do this? 

Thanks, Hans

Edited by JoP

Hi Hans

One technique is to have each field in your layout twice, one of which has the 'Allow data entry in browse mode' turned on, and the other turned off. Then you just show and hide these two fields appropriately based on your lockRecord flag.

Alternatively you could have two layouts and when your user changes record, use a layout ScriptTrigger (OnRecordLoad) to switch to an 'editable' or 'non-editable' layout appropriately.

I know of no more elegant ways to achieve this, but someone on the forum may have something!

Thanks for all replies. Now I created a custom privilege set where I changed the Edit and Delete capabliities to ‘Limited’ and set the formula to IsEmpty(lockRecord) OR lockRecord unequal to "Y".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Drusus
      Hello,
      I have a pretty extensive Database going but I simply do not want the end-user to maximize the window. Now I know I can disable maximize when opening a new window so I made a main menu layout that forces people to click a button to bring them to the different parts of the DB which will open a new windows while keeping the main menu screen open in the back ground. In this way I disable the maximize ability on opening a new window.
      My question is thus...how can I simply disable maximize window ability on the first layout. I have a layout that I use as a splash screen and attempted to have that open the first layout in a new window during the 3/4 seconds its displaying opening screen, disable the maximize and then close itself...not sure if this is possible but all it did was close the new layout I was trying to open.
      Is there a way to do this? Either right at opening of splash screen (layout) or have the splash screen automatically opened a new window then close itself?

Thanks for any help.
    • By Steven Swallow
      Hi,

I have a FileMaker database that is acting as an archive for items deleted from our primary database (not FileMaker). Effectively, the 'Home' layout shows a fairly standard set of contact data. Below that, I have a Tab control, each with a Portal showing related records (so the tabs are Orders | Subscriptions | Advertising | Futures | Company Details | Mailings )

I would like to alert the user to the fact that there are related records somehow. Whether conditional formatting is the best tool for this I'm not sure, but either way, I'm torn between (and don't know how to implement) the below scenarios;
      Disable a Tab if there are no related records (portal record count = 0)...perhaps greying out the Tab title as a visual indicator. Enable a Tab if there are related records (portal record count >= 1) and colouring the Tab title as a visual indicator. Perhaps more simply, creating visual clues on the main Contact screen which show "True" or are highlighted bright green if there are related records. This would mean creating fields in the Contact table like 'txtOrdersTrue', 'txtSubscriptionsTrue' and so on and conditionally formatting those appropriately if there are related records to view. I have searched around and can't quite find what I'm after so any help much appreciated.
    • By Steven Swallow
      Hi,

I have searched around as I thought this would have been asked numerous times, but couldn't find what I was after.

I have a field that stores a 0 or 1 depending on whether there is a related record elsewhere. The button take you to that related record and associated layout. I want to disble the button if the field contents is 0 (no related record).

I thought I might be able to use conditional formatting, but there's no 'disable' option (which would be nice).

How do I do this please?

Thanks,

Steve
    • By MariaAux
      Is it possible to create a script at startup for the user to view the help-files on how to use the database, but select a checkbox 'Don't show help files on startup in future' so that they don't have to view the help-files each time they use it - only the first time.

Essentially, is it possible for the user to either 'Disable a script' by way of running another script or perhaps, setting FM to run a script only the first time that the user logs in, not each time after that?

Thanks so much in advance
  • Who Viewed the Topic

8 members have viewed this topic:
    normanicus  Jhon Doe  rlf  Akash Gupta  Tom R.  ash1474  dkey  theusualsuspect 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.