Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3109 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have been trying to set up a means of locking down a record so that it can't be modified again.. For example, I want a record in the contacts table to become unmodifiable (locked down)  by the user once the person must have entered his date of birth.  Please how can I achieve this? 

Edited by shevyshevy

I want a record in the contacts table to become unmodifiable (locked down)  by the user once the person must have entered his date of birth.

That's a confusing statement.

Filemaker gives you the option to permit users to create new records, but not edit them. If you combine this with validating the date of birth as not empty, users will be able to create new records - provided that they enter a date of birth at the same time - and edit these records until the end of the current session. If you want them to create a record without a date of birth and be able to edit it until they enter one, then this is not the method for you.

What I plan to achieve is to limit users from making changes to a record after a staff must have changed it's status to locked...   So my problem is scripting the Locked button such that when a staff hits it, that particular customer record becomes locked down..   

Many ways to accomplish this and knowing the workflow would help me suggest the best approach. Are you familiar with Record Level Access rules?

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13776/kw/record level access

Yea.. I am familiar with it..  A typical scenario is having to prevent a sales staff from going back to make changes to an invoice after sales must have been made..  Or after a day or two 

What I plan to achieve is to limit users from making changes to a record after a staff must have changed it's status to locked...  

That's very simple. Add a field named Locked (Number) and allow users to edit records only when =

not Locked

To lock a record, set the Locked field to 1. This could be scripted or just format the field as a checkbox using a value list of "1".

Or after a day or two 

That too would be easy: make the Locked field a date field and enter the current date when locking the record. Then allow users to edit the record only when =

Get (CurrentDate) < Locked + 2

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

This topic is 3109 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.