Binu Alexander

hyphenating larger words .. how can this be done ?

I need a layout with larger number of text fields which may have long words .. currently words are being split randomly and overflowing into new lines ..    eg .. for the word 'accordingly';   'accordingl' comes on the first line and 'ly' comes on the second line. Is there a way that filemaker can hyphenate large words and insert breaks so that  it breaks in a more clean manner ?

Filemaker will not hyphenate long words for you - but you can prevent words being broken by going into File > File Options… > Text and selecting the "Use Roman language line-breaking" option.

This will work for as long as you don't have a word that's longer than would fit on a single line.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bentley
      I'm working on a database right now that handles general accounting information for a department of a university.  My current layout looks like this:

Where the left section has buttons to take you to the different layouts and look at various different tables, and the middle column is a scrollable portal to look at all of the jobs.  On the right hand side for the "employees" section, I was able to fit all of an employee's data in that space, so it worked, but each job has significantly more data associated with it and doesn't fit in that space, so I was wondering if there is a way to make that section scrollable, but looking at the same record (i.e. The job description would be at the top, and then some info on what materials and labor have been billed to that job, and then be able to scroll down and have another section with contact info for employees assigned to that job, etc.).  From what I've been looking around at for solutions it looks like this is impossible, but I'm hoping that maybe there's someone out there that's more creative than me!  I thought about making the whole layout taller and then somehow locking the left columns into position while scrolling so that they would be fixed in the viewport, but I couldn't find a way to do that.  Thanks guys!
    • By wedgeman
      Am a bit lost on what (I think) should be a quite simple script:
      Field 1 has a value list on layout.
      Field 2 is a general text field for typed data entry..
      My goal is to use Field 1 to trigger/manage a script which does severla things, but then leaves the mouse/selector inserted into Field 2, for ease of use...

So...
      When I select an item in that value list, an OnObjectExit triggered script: 
      sets a variable from that, then clears that field inserts a calculated value (based on the variable created) in another field.  Then it SHOULD "go to Field 2"... as in, after the script is done, the cursor should be inserted into Field 2 with a blinking cursor... My problem is, this isn't working.
      the first two parts are working flawlessly - it creates and acts on variables, as it should..
      But it refuses to 'go to field' (or "go to object", if i try it that way)..
      What's happening instead is this: the script runs, but the selector/mouse jumps on forward to the next object (if that object is in a tab order), or (if NOT in a tab order), it goes nowhere (it operates the script, but dies before setting mouse to the field or object).....
      I also tried OnObjectModify and OnObjectSave.... No dice on either.....The mouse simply refuses to "go to field"....
      additionally, i tried triggering ANOTHER script (which works on its own) - - simply "go to field 2".. but even that doesn't work..
      thoughts?

My guess is that the script (as an OnObjectExit trigger) runs, then FMP assumes that after the script ends, the next object should be selected (rather than ending wherever I told it to end)...

anybody?
    • By LosTraxx
      I just upgraded our FM Server and four workstations to FM 16 Server and FileMaker 16 User. 
      I have been using FM15 User to update a solution in every way, including layout design since June 2016. The only function I could have used from Advanced was commenting out script lines, but I lived with it.
      FM16 User appears to have removed Fill Color and a few other selections when I right click on an object in layout mode.
      Is this correct? Or have they just moved that somewhere else? Or is this a way of telling us they don't want Users doing too much design work, so get a copy of Advanced?
    • By Peter Wagemans
      Yesterday, I tried to move a script that creates a PDF ( and mails it ) to a server side script, as the "save records as PDF" script step is now supported in server side scripts.
      It did not work correctly, and generated an error 800 (file could not be created on disk) in the server log. Rather generic error.
      I changed the script to point to a blank layout instead. No more error. A nice blank PDF was created.
      I put a text box with "test" in it on the layout, Arial 12 point. -> error 800
      I removed the text box and put a png graphic on the layout -> OK
      I put a text box in a font that I was sure of the server did not have -> OK!
      I tried this several times, 2 several fonts, and the results and errors were consistent. So if during the PDF creation, the server replaces the font reference by its own replacement font reference, it is able to save as PDF. If a reference lik "Arial" is used, it fails and the server reports the generic error that it can not create the file on disk (800).
      I'm using MacOS 10.12.4 as client and Window Server 2012R2 as the server. Maybe there is a cross platform issue here? As always, more testing is required.
      Can anyone confirm similar issues? Any workarounds that are known? Any thoughts and insights?
    • By Cynthia Heyman
      I'm brand new to Filemaker. I'm trying to figure out how to make a left menu area that will appear in all of my layouts for navigation purposes.  To switch from layout to layout easily for the user when my application goes live.
      I'm not even sure if this is possible, but from what I'm reading, it looks like it may not be.
      Would there be a way to split a layout into two vertical sections, the left one being the menu (which I can duplicate on every layout if necessary, though that would be a pain), and the right area where the actual program interactions appear?
      I'm so new that I'm not even what the correct terminology is.
      Thanks!
  • Who Viewed the Topic

10 members have viewed this topic:
    fmdataweb  MSPJ  Johnn  siroos12  lauren@paradisepartners  dennis_em  Carson  mattp52  Jonathan Ackerman  Bagi 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.