Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cannot Start FMSP in Web-direct with URL Script option

This topic is 2571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I suspect a bug with extending FMSP, if you:

Gererate an email or message of some sort with a URL to start FMSP via web-direct, and specify a script to run on startup.

I was trying to point the user to the exact place they needed to be, to fill out a "form".  The user might be new to  FMSP so I wanted it as simple as possible.

Web-direct documentation clearly specifies how to pass a database name, a script to run, and parameters and variable initialization.  I tried to use the database name and script name to run options.  The requested database runs, but the script does not appear to run.  

It appears that the script to execute (the one passed in the URL) is placed on a list of scripts to run, then preempted by the startup script.  OK so far, the startup script should run first.  When the startup script (0001) Startup hits "halt script" all scripts are halted (according to documentation) and I am guessing that this kills the script passed in the URL to web-direct.  I think Exit script does the intended function without killing the passed starting script.

It appears to me that Script (001) Startup, calls "halt Script" in several places when it decides it has completed its task.  If you replace those statements with "Exit Script" then things start to work.

Someone who understands the (0001) Startup script should see if "Exit Script" is indeed adequate and consider substituting it in future versions.

As an aside I worked with a RCC developer to add code to the end of (0001) Startup, a very bad idea with those "abort" script" statements.  The code runs fine in Filemaker client, but not in other environments that trigger the "abort script".

Marki,

You are correct in stating that the "Halt Script" is your issue here. In your case, an "Exit Script" script step would be adequate, and would allow the script you are trying to perform to work properly.

We use "Halt Script" on purpose in these areas as some devices can use multiple platforms of FileMaker. The "Halt Script" step allows us to prevent any issues with these devices if they get sent to the wrong screens for some reason. 

Thanks,

Jonathan Hogle

This topic is 2571 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.