Hi All. I have a database that is currently sitting on 760MB with 425K records and from the trend it will grow at about 200K records a year now. as it is primarily used on mobile devices I think that this growth will lead to local processing problems. I am looking for a way to "hive off" any records older than say 18 months in the distributed version of the database while keeping all records in an "archive" version and then be able to add new and modified records monthly to the "archive" and removing the oldest month from the distributed version. There are 27 tables involved. Any pointers for achieving this would be appreciated *

when you say distributed version are you saying it is off line or is the main file hosted?

One solution to my mind is use of MirrorSync to keep a central database of all data hosted and users could sync down only a subset of records. 

7 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

when you say distributed version are you saying it is off line or is the main file hosted?

One solution to my mind is use of MirrorSync to keep a central database of all data hosted and users could sync down only a subset of records. 

The working files are offline and the main file is hosted. We spend a lot of time without even electricity never mind an internet connection in South Africa so we cannot work with an online file. We do in fact use Mirrorsync. It is not the data being synced that is starting to create problems it is the volume that has to be found and organised while on site. There is also the consideration of expensive bandwidth. If 20 people have to download a new file in the morning and perform a first sync that creates problems on our meagre resources so the idea is to minimise the data that the mobile devices have to both download and process while somehow also keeping a total database with the historical data that we need.

It is exactly the same and when any development takes place,(at least once a week), a new file must be downloaded to each device and an initial sync has to take place. 

MirrorSync has the option now to perform initial sync on server so that you could restrict the amount of data the file needs. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Sinky
      Hi!
      I have a calculation field in a portal which shows the value according to ActivePortalRowNumber. Each row has a special determined value.
      When I manually enter the value in the field before the calculation field and thereby make a particular row active, my calculation field automatically shows the designated value. Great!
      But, if when I do the import from Excel, all data gets nicely imported and the portal shows the imported data but the calculation field is without value. I guess the importing process is not making a portal rows active so the calculation is not working.
      Any ideas how this can be solved?
      Many thanks!
    • By kungx
      Spec: Filemaker 9 on window 7 computer.
      So I have some columns that need to be combine into one but I don't want to use Concatenation as a field because it creates quotes whenever I copy and paste.

The example:
      Name = Nick
      Field Name A - Nick A (this is produced from entering the name Nick)
      Field Name B - Nick B (this is produced from entering the name Nick)
      FYI - Field Name A and B must in the same record.

When I export I want Nick A to be first row and then Nick B to be second row is that possible?  Right now as it sits it looks like the attached.
      Any suggestions?

• By SebLetarte
      Hello,
      We have a solution to store pictures(JPEG and NEF) from a photographer. I am trying to mass import the raw files(.NEF) into containers but I have an error message saying 'This file could not be translated using the selected file type'.
      It is possible to drag and drop or File->Insert the file into the container directly but I can't import them from the folder.
      Is this impossible to import files from folder with extensions other than the basic ones? (jpeg, pdf, jpg, png etc)
      Thanks!
    • By fm8443
      I have a script to import an Excel file into an FM Table.
      I have my FM Script setup to Import Records with Arrange by: LAST ORDER.
      But it won't do this.  Every time I run this script it gets the field mappings wrong.  Reverts them back to before.
      Ironically when I do it manually it works.
      Any ideas?  (I have this type of scripted import working fine for other tables)
      (I tried shifting the order of the fields in the actual database table as well -- but that has no effect either.)
    • By fm8443
      I am trying to open my (local) FM 14 Pro file [which has an auto-exec "Import Script"] but the script needs a variable file name.
      How do I pass this variable file name into Filemaker at 1) the time of the file open or 2) at the time of running the script (if I switch to manual execution)?
      Is #1 by using the fmp:// syntax from a web browser external to FM?  (or is that syntax just for use when invoked from INSIDE a FM file?)
  • Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    ash1474 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.