Exporting Mutiple Columns to One Column

This topic is 2593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Spec: Filemaker 9 on window 7 computer.

So I have some columns that need to be combine into one but I don't want to use Concatenation as a field because it creates quotes whenever I copy and paste.

The example:

Name = Nick

Field Name A - Nick A (this is produced from entering the name Nick)

Field Name B - Nick B (this is produced from entering the name Nick)

FYI - Field Name A and B must in the same record.

When I export I want Nick A to be first row and then Nick B to be second row is that possible?  Right now as it sits it looks like the attached.

Any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 12.11.30 PM.png

I just want it as a excel file.

1 hour ago, comment said:

What is the required format for the exported file? You show the result in Excel(?) - do you export as Excel? Or can you export as a CSV or tab-separated fie?

When Filemaker exports as Excel, there will be exactly one row for each exported record. If you want the same record to occupy two or more rows, you need to split it into multiple records. Judging from your field names, that's what you should do anyway: instead of having two Name fields, place the names in a related table and export from there.

The alternative is to cook your own export, using either XML with a custom XSLT stylesheet (with the resulting file being in Excel 2003 XML format) or a plugin.

Is there an example of this on FM forum I can take a look at?  I have a ball park idea of what you're taking about but I would be interested to see a set up of these. My curiosity will be importing items into the table. Not sure if the items will import properly but I might just be over thinking it.

On 3/9/2017 at 3:36 PM, comment said:

When Filemaker exports as Excel, there will be exactly one row for each exported record. If you want the same record to occupy two or more rows, you need to split it into multiple records. Judging from your field names, that's what you should do anyway: instead of having two Name fields, place the names in a related table and export from there.

The alternative is to cook your own export, using either XML with a custom XSLT stylesheet (with the resulting file being in Excel 2003 XML format) or a plugin.

3 hours ago, kungx said:

Is there an example of this on FM forum I can take a look at?

What exactly do you mean by "this"? I mentioned three different alternatives - which one do you have in mind?

3 hours ago, kungx said:

My curiosity will be importing items into the table.

This is very confusing. I thought your question was about exporting from a Filemaker table, not importing into one.

This topic is 2593 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.