Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Multiple Licenses Needed?

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I need to get Filemaker Pro 6.0 onto two Mac and was wondering whether the installer allows you to install on two different machines with the same license, or, like so many of the newer installers, it coordinates things over the net to make sure you can't use the license on more than one machine.

Hi Fred,

Although FileMaker will allow you to install a copy on more than one machine. It requires separate passwords for all machines running on a network. In other words, you will need to purchase additional licenses for each machine on the network.

HTH

Lee

wink.gif

• Newbies

Thanks, Lee. I may have misled you a bit when i said "net." I meant the Internet, not a LAN. These two Macs will not be networked, they're just two otherwise random machines hooked up to separate DSL lines. They're not even in the same building.

It sounds from what you said that I'll be able to use one license to install copies on both machines. Is that your read of this situation as well?

Thanks again,

Fred

Hi Fred,

If you ever plan to share a file between the two computers you have to purchase more installation codes. When you open a file with filemaker that is hosted by another computer with filemaker it checks the installation codes on the two computers. If you have "pirated" the software it will give you a nice little message about exceeding the number of users for this copy and close the program.

But if the computers are not on a network, I don't think that you should have a problem. It does not require you to do any sort of web validation or activation like some other programs.

Hi Fred,

Why not just try it and see what happens.

Log on with one machine with FM open, and then log on with the second one, and try to open the copy. It will *not* let you open the second copy if it detects the original.

Lee

The FileMaker 6 Box comes with a single-user license. Legally, you have to buy one for each system. Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it okay.

Theft of software hurts not only the developer, but also the distributors and resellers who could profit from software sales, as well as end users who pay an inflated price for software. And lets not forget the thousands of companies who use software illegally to gain a competitive advantage against other companies who invest thousands (or even millions) of dollars on software to operate their business legitimately.

Last year, Canada's economy lost $289 million (CDN) to software theft. I can only imagine what that is in the US.

Jason:

I agree with you totally, and it's too easy for people to forget that some of us on this forum suffer from software/license theft ourselves, when we create solutions & stand-alones which then get "shared".

I'm just finishing a short project for a client who quite gleefully told me that he'd managed to save a bundle by installing the same version of FMP 5.5 on all his machines, then bought the correct number of upgrades to FMP 6, and now he's got a different full license for each machine. FileMaker didn't (and how could they?) cover for this type of theft.

-Stanley

• 3 weeks later...

This is a thorny subject. But in the end it is always best to bite the bullet and cover your proverbial hind quarters. You never know when the powers that be decide to come down and bite you.

Besides, you'll sleep better at night knowing that all of your machines are properly licensed.

Hello Fred.

I used to manage the computer systems for a large contracting company, it seems that before I arrived there the previous manager installed multiple instances of one licensed product on seven computers. Needless to say the BSA (Business Software Alliance) found out about it and took necessary legal action resulting in a fine of over $23,000.00 which was ordered to be paid by a court of law, seems that it would have be cheaper (and smarter) to just pay the origonal $200.00 per individual license.

Just my 2 schillings

Eoin

This topic is 7390 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.