Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Showing multiple record data on one layout.

This topic is 7356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been through a lot of posts trying to figure out how to display multiple record data on one layout, and now need some help. I have a database called Storage that has info on 50 storage units for rent, i.e. storage number, size, asking price, actual rent, id number of renter, etc. In addition each one has a status field which is one of four conditions: 1. Empty, 2 Occupied producing revenue, 3 Occupied but not producing revenue, and 4. Reserved for management use.

I have designed an overall floor plan of all the storage units on a Filemaker layout and what I want to do is show information on the floor plan at each unit, such as the status condition. That means that I need to have 50 fields on one layout that update automatically when any individual storage unit status changes.

I'm not new to Filemaker but I've tried repeating fields and cannot figure out how to use a loop script to insert data into a global repeating field representing the storage status.

Help! Is there any way to show multiple record data on a single layout other than just a list view? I would appreciate suggestions and ideas from other users.

Chris:

Stay away from repeating fields - they're a legacy item and notoriously difficult to deal with.

What you want is simple enough to do, but requires a lot of repetition to set up. First, I am going to assume that all your Units have a unique number (probably 1-50, but it doesn't matter.) You want to set up a new database that has 50 global fields, call them Unit_1 through to Unit_50. Create a record in that database and enter the unit numbers into the fields. Then, you'll have to create 50 relationships, one for each of these global fields. For each one, select the global field, then connect it to the Unit_Number field in your present database. Once that's done you can create your layout (in the new database.)

For each unit you want to display, create fields based on the unit's relationship. It is a LOT of repetition, but once you are done, you will be able to see, on one layout, every one of your units, their status, etc.

I've created a simple example, with only 4 relationships, so you can see what I mean.

-Stanley

Sample for ChrisP.zip

• Newbies

Wow! Thanks Stanley. I appreciate the quick sample files too. Not too difficult once you grasp it. There is a lot of repetitious entry as you described but it does exactly what I wanted.

Also appreciate the quick response.

This topic is 7356 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.