Server Maintenance This Week. ×

newbie - is there such a thing as a combo box?

This topic is 7318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

im trying to build a contact management databse that can draw common addresses from a linked file. i want to be able to add diferent address, then use them as a basis for the main database - saving time on multiple entries with th esame address. Ive been getting help from a friend who has suggested using an ID for each new address, making each entry unique - which would stop any problems arrising from two company names being the same.

The problem im having is that as the top line of the address is the company name i want to referance the file im getting th eaddress from via the ID - not th ecompany name... but i want to only show the company name and address in the portal. My friend said in th eworld of PC's it would be a combo box??

Any help would be greatly appreciated as ive only been learning FMP for approx. 5 hours!!

Calfo

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Hi Calfo,

In FileMaker terms, a combo box is called a 'Pop-up list' and is an option that can be selected from the Field Format dialog (accessible from the Format menu) when you are in Layout mode.

However, to define a field to operate as a pop-up list, you must attach a value list and that must be created separately via the Define Value Lists command on the File menu. Value lists can be set to be dynamic (to draw values from a field) and to display additional values to aid selection.

From what you are saying, you probably would want a value list which draws on the unique IDs, but also displays the first line of the address. You may also wish to hide the pop-up list field behind the address field and turn the 'allow entry into field' option off for the address field. That way when the user clicks onto the address, they will instead be taken through to the pop-up list, but once a selection is made, only the address will show. wink.gif

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

• Newbies

yeah, thats about as far as i got - except i want to draw the info from the ID, but have just the company name showing in the pop up list... in PC land, i think the ID number can sit hidden in the pop up list, where as in FMP it is visable - so do you know how to make it invisable?

This way, if i add two companies with the same name - both will appear in the pop up list, as the list draws from the ID - not the name.:

Calfo

Hi,

It's not a matter of PC-land. FileMaker is cross-platform. What you're describing is idiosyncratic differences between FileMaker and some other programs such as Access.

However to come to the point, I'm afraid that current versions of FileMaker don't provide a mechanism for rendering a conventional value list whilst suppressing the display of the primary value. If you want to do that, you'll need to consider alternative techniques.

One such technique is the use of a simulated pop-up list based on a portal. You'll find an example file which shows a way of doing that at:

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos6.html#d8

- in the demo file which appears under the heading 'Simulated Pop-Up Lists with Extended Functionality'. It may or may not be suitable for your current requirements, but you won't know unless you look... wink.gif

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

This topic is 7318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.