Consolidating Databases

This topic is 7239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have several office databases all clones of an original. I would like to consolidate them into one data set, but allow only an admin and a manager to view the individual records associated with that manager's data. The only real field that is changed is an auto enter signature field and another of a similar nature.

If it can be done, how do I go about doing it?

Thanks!

Hi stranger, and welcome to FM Forums! What ou could do is tack an extra field onto your database called RecordOwner. For all records that come from the manager's data set, set this field to "Manager", and for all other records, set this field to "User." Now make two passwords, one for users, and one for the managers. Restrict browsing/editing of records through the Access Privileges dialog: with the user password selected, next to "Browse Records", select "Limited". In the calc box that comes up, type RecordOwner="User" and anyone with that password will be restricted to only these records.

There are other, perhaps more elegant ways of achieving this, but this is probably the simplest for your situation.

HTH

Jerry

This topic is 7239 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.