Newbie needs help!

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello, I am learning the 5.5 version. So far I can layout and browse and have a file that works but now need to add some difficult (for me) features. First, I need to add a "message space" to the database used between two users. I basically want this: an indicator (flashing would be good or just a box/button that changes when a message is waiting) and a message field. I don't want this area to change or be stored with each record. I thought a global field was the ticket but only the host can change it. Then I tried "relating another file". I created a new file with just one field and went back to my main file and related it (or so I think). When I type in the field of the new file it does not pop into the main file's field though I have related it. What should I be doing for this idea to work in the simplest way? If possible, I would like to only have one file running to make life simple. you can e-mail any tips to me at [email protected] or post here. Thanks!

Hi, Jeff!

If I understand correctly, you want to make something like a FileMaker post-it note that shows up on every record so the users can leave messages for each other, right? I think you were on the right track w/the 2nd db (messages.fp5, messageid... calcfield=1, message... textfield).

I'm not good at this stuff but I think you'd have a messageid... calcfield=1 in your main db, too. Relate them w/messageid=messageid and then create a portal in the header of the main db layout that has the related message field in it. Unless I goofed (could have but that's the idea, anyway), that should be it unless there are circumstances like the messageid has to be on the layout or something.

Please correct me folks if I'm giving Jeff wrong instructions...

--ST

Mmm.. just re-read that and there may be more clarification needed...

GENERAL IDEA:

To have a portal in the header section of your main db that shows the messages from the messages database. Since you want the message(s) to appear on every record, all the messages in the message db can have the same id number (1, 1001, or whatever), and in the portal, you have it show messages with that serial number. You define the relationship between two using equivalent id fields (messageid1 <==> messageid2) that don't really do anything or change since you want them the same on every record... which is why I think they can be calc fields set to maindb:messageid1=1 and messagedb:messageid2=1.

I hope that's better, but I could still be wrong...

---ST

This topic is 7214 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.