Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Number of Users and Open Files in Multiuser Mode

This topic is 7046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have developed a contacts / projects / call tracking application that uses 14 files. I need 10 people in my company to have access to it. My plan was to run FM Pro 6 on a dedicated machine and to open the files on that machine in Multi-User mode (all my users have their own copies of FM Pro 6 on their desktop machines ...WinXP). However, I read somewhere that you can only have a certain number of files in your solution if you want to share it with 10 users without buying FM Server 6.

Does anyone know what the limits are?

Can I do this without using FM Pro 6 Server?

What is a runtime application? Should I consider that?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me with this confusing topic!

Corey

Corey:

You can host up to 10 simultaneous users with FMP's built-in hosting ability. Depending on the size and complexity of your databases, you may find that speed becomes an issue with this setup, in which case you'd have to set up a FileMaker Server 5 system. As for the number of files, I seem to recall the max was 25, but that's off the top of my head, as all the systems I design use Server. You may want to consider getting FMS anyway, as it is more stable, faster, and allows for automated backups of your data - you should be able to find it on eBay.

Runtimes are created using FileMaker Developer (they will run without having FileMaker on the user's machine), and in versions 5 and 6 are not networkable, so are not what you're looking for.

-Stanley

This topic is 7046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.