TAB to Next Record

This topic is 8610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

greetings all,

I am working with a barcode reader that inputs data into my fields.

The barcode reader "TABS" to each line. What I need to do is ,..somehow trigger filemaker to "New Record"

I thought of a hand held barcode sheet that I could mauallu read when i wanted to go to the next record.

eg,...bar code for cmd + N,....the problem is, the command key does not have a font therefore I cannot generate a barcode for it.

Does anyone know a wat I could do this??

maybe a code from a specific field could execute a script? but what code could i use?

may be as i TAB through the DOC i could tab to nect record? but how do I select that?

any insight or input would be helpful.

thanx

quote:

Originally posted by jdonovan:

greetings all,

I am working with a barcode reader that inputs data into my fields.

The barcode reader "TABS" to each line. What I need to do is ,..somehow trigger filemaker to "New Record"

I thought of a hand held barcode sheet that I could mauallu read when i wanted to go to the next record.

eg,...bar code for cmd + N,....the problem is, the command key does not have a font therefore I cannot generate a barcode for it.

Does anyone know a wat I could do this??

maybe a code from a specific field could execute a script? but what code could i use?

may be as i TAB through the DOC i could tab to nect record? but how do I select that?

any insight or input would be helpful.

thanx

I would use a script like the following, where Input_Field is the field set to have the entry from the bar code reader:

Loop

New Record/Request

Go to Field [ Input_Field ]

Loop

Exit Loop If [ not IsEmpty( Input_Field ) ]

Pause/Resum Script [ 00:00:01 ]

End Loop

End Loop

What this does is create a new record, go to the field for the input, wait for the field to have some data, then create's a new record (within one second) and goes through the whole process again.

The caveat is that you need to have some way to get out of the outside loop (notice that there isn't an "Exit Loop If" for the outside loop). Place a button on your layout called "Done" or "Exit" or something like that. The button will take the user out of the bar code reading area of the database into some other area via a script. But the important part of this button is the setting for what to do to the current script when clicked. Instead of the default, which is Pause, select Halt. This will allow you to exit your loop.

The alternative is to use a plug-in like ScriptScheduler to run a script when the field has data.

Chuck

This topic is 8610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.