Database/Linking

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

How can I put a button on my website that will be linked back to my PC to

open a database made with FilemakerPro5.

My PC is continous, through a provider, connected to the internet.

With FilemakerPro5 I have made a couple of database containing pictures and text

from different countries.

Now a want to put buttons on my website who will link to my database on my PC so

if for instance the button Holland will be clicked they will have access to the database

Holland.fp5 on my PC.

Any help will be very apprieciated

Siegfried de Jong

You'll need to have FileMaker Pro permanently running on the PC an have Web Companion enabled. You also need to have a database permanently open: this database will be the key to your "remote administration" system.

You'll have to create a script in the database that can perform any and all of the tasks that you require to be done remotely. Though this isn't too hard it needs thnking through... for instance I have a script that does a backup of the databases, but the "Save as" script command only works if the databases don't have users connected, otherwise the "ask user to log out" dialog box will appear and halt the server until somebody clicks the OK or Cancel buttons. Consequently the backup script first has to check each database (using the Status[CurrentUserCount] function) to make sure a user isn't logged-in... a bit of work indeed.

So to summarise, buttons on your web site can perform "remote admin" functions as long as FMP and your "admin" database is up and running, and you have created scripts in the admin database to perform each of the functions you want.

BTW you use the -Script CDML tags on your web pages to run the scripts in the admin database.

[This message has been edited by Vaughan (edited October 24, 2000).]

This topic is 8605 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.