Server Maintenance This Week. ×

report formatting

This topic is 8585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

First have a sum field to get the total of A and B:

Total on Date = A + B

Then have a summary field that gives a total of the Total on Date field

Total Passengers = Total of Total on Date

On you layout have a body part that includes the date, A, B, and Total on Date fields.

Below the body part, have a Trailing Grand Summary Part and place the Total Passengers in this part.

Now when you either print the layout or view it in Preview Mode, you will see the data you want.

Chuck

I have a file with records of registrations for a boys camp. Parents may optionally sign up for a bus to take their sons to camp each Saturday. The bus leaves from location A and picks up more passengers at B. One field in the data base indicates the pickup location (A or :; Another field, the pickup date. I want to be able to make up a report that shows the number of passengers to be picked up at A and at B and the total passengers for each Saturday date. i.e. (Note: Dashes are only included to maintain proper formatting of this example.)

Bus to Camp Summary

----------A----B---Total

Date 1---23----3----26

Date 2---12----0----12

Date 3---34---10----44

Date 4---27----7----34

Date 5---15----1----16

Date 6---29----0----29

Is there a way to do this? I don't seem to be able to make summarized reports easily with FileMaker. I used to use Q&A and found it fairly simple. Is it me or Filemaker? I have read the User's Guide and also FileMaker Pro 5 Bible by Schwartz. The latter has only 10 pages relating to Reports!

Dave

[This message has been edited by nfregistrar (edited October 26, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck:

First have a sum field to get the total of A and B:

Total on Date = A + B

Then have a summary field that gives a total of the Total on Date field

Total Passengers = Total of Total on Date

On you layout have a body part that includes the date, A, B, and Total on Date fields.

Below the body part, have a Trailing Grand Summary Part and place the Total Passengers in this part.

Now when you either print the layout or view it in Preview Mode, you will see the data you want.

Chuck

Hi Chuck:

Unfortunatly, A and B are not separate fields. They are just a location field that contains either A or B. Can I still do it?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by nfregistrar:

I have a file with records of registrations for a boys camp. Parents may optionally sign up for a bus to take their sons to camp each Saturday. The bus leaves from location A and picks up more passengers at B. One field in the data base indicates the pickup location (A or :; Another field, the pickup date. I want to be able to make up a report that shows the number of passengers to be picked up at A and at B and the total passengers for each Saturday date. i.e. (Note: Dashes are only included to maintain proper formatting of this example.)

Bus to Camp Summary

----------A----B---Total

Date 1---23----3----26

Date 2---12----0----12

Date 3---34---10----44

Date 4---27----7----34

Date 5---15----1----16

Date 6---29----0----29

A summary field will show the total, then a calculation field using "Get Summary" as follows:

Get Summary(Summary field,A/B field)

Set up a layout with summary and trailing sub-summary parts, with the Get Summary field in the sub-summary part, sort by your A/B field and the result will show.

quote:

Originally posted by nfregistrar:

Hi Chuck:

Unfortunatly, A and B are not separate fields. They are just a location field that contains either A or B. Can I still do it?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

I'm sorry. I thought that the way you had your table that A and B were fields. Where are you keeping the information on how many people are being picked up at each location (for instance, in your first line of data in your table, you have 23 for A and 3 for :? Wherever this data is, that's the data you want to add together to get the Total Passengers.

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck:

I'm sorry. I thought that the way you had your table that A and B were fields. Where are you keeping the information on how many people are being picked up at each location (for instance, in your first line of data in your table, you have 23 for A and 3 for :? Wherever this data is, that's the data you want to add together to get the Total Passengers.

Each record represents a camper. One field in the record records the campers pick up point (A or B or blank if they are not using the bus). Another field is the pick up date which is look up data based on the week they select to attend.

My table represents the summary report that is generated from time to time as campers are being registered so we can tell how many are on the bus (to see if it is filled up on a particular date.) and how many will be picked up at each location (specifically if it will have to stop at location B.

As each date of pick up nears, I will print out a detailed list of campers names and which location they will get on the bus, but that is the simple part.

Dave

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by sconolly:

A summary field will show the total, then a calculation field using "Get Summary" as follows:

Get Summary(Summary field,A/B field)

Set up a layout with summary and trailing sub-summary parts, with the Get Summary field in the sub-summary part, sort by your A/B field and the result will show.

Can you give more specific information. I have not understood your instructions well enough to get this to work.

Each record represents a camper who is registered for a particular week. One field records if they are taking the bus to camp. It stores location A or B or is blank if they choose to get to camp another way. Another field has the date they will get on the bus based on the week they are signed up. We need to make a summary report from time to time, as registrations are received, as show in my sample table, to keep track if the bus is getting full or if there are going to be any enbarking at point B.

Dave

Create a Summary field which Counts the number of records (you can use any field which will contain data in every record, e.g. "Name". This will give you the total number of records in the database, or in a found set (e.g. a specific bus departure date).

Then create the GetSummary field, using the summary field above, and the "A/B" field:

GetSummary(Summary Field,A/B Field).

Set up the layout with Summary and Sub-summary parts, and sort by the A/B field.

This topic is 8585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.