tangled relationships

This topic is 8585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm working with a media database. It's already got a lot of relationships (staff, media, various codes,etc.). I want to be able to save many lists by subject. What I've come up with is to make a new DB called List Names. Then I make a clone of the staff file with a field called list name. I wanted to make it a global field but this is giving me a problem, too. So I replaced all with the list name ("A") in the 1st clone. A is the 1st record in List Names DB. Now, to create the A list, I'm exporting names from the staff file into the clone, and each time I create a new list (clone), I create a new entry ("B" etc.) in the List Names DB. Follow me so far?

Here's the tough part. I want to be able to see what other lists a record is on. For example, I have lists named A and B, and staff records numbered 1, 2, and 3. A contains 1 and 2. B contains 2 and 3. I want to be able to see the list names A and B in record 2, regardless of whether I'm looking at it in list A or list B. I haven't been able to accomplish this yet. I tried a drop down menu with a value list of related records from the list field, but when I'm in DB A it only shows A, and B only shows B. Is this because the relationship is circular? Help?

I have tried doing this with repeating fields, but it's too complicated for my associates.

My only suggestion to "see what other lists the record is on" is to create a layout, and put a portal on the layout for every relationship the record may be related to. That wa you'll see everything at once.

This topic is 8585 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.