exporting data

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm back with a new problem. (You out there Chuck?).

When I was trying to put together my new database, I kept looking at the layout of another set of relational databases (many to many and very complex) that some hotshot created a while back. I tried not to touch anything, just look at how they were put togeterh. That is I checked value lists relationships, filed names, and formats.

All of a sudden now, when they try and export data from this field into a word processor, which they've done frequently in the past from the master file. Now they are trying to export data from the master file, but the data is coming into the master file from the related files. They have done this before without a problem. Since I have done my looking around in its innards, however, they are having trouble exporting data. It does alright from a certain number of records and then freezes.

I'm afraid I did something unwittingly even though I tried to change NOTHING. This database is vital to my employer. Can you tell me what I might have done that could cause this kind of problem?? Help.

katsii

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, but I will try to help. If your export (the data fields being exported) are no longer consistent with previous exports, you may have inadvertantly changed the export order. This is easy to do if you do not know what you are doing.

If you are trying to do an export and the export freezes, you may have corrupted records.

Did you muck around with the export scripts at all? Frankly, I don't think you included enough information here to solve your problem. Could you please elaborate.

How's Chico life... I miss the old days.

Fishma.

Do you have a backup of the database files from before you began checking around? If so, I would recommend that the easiest way to get things working again would be to take those backup files, make clones of them, and import the data from the newer files. Also check the field definitions for auto-entry serial number options in the newer files, as these would need to be changed in the backup files in all likelihood.

Chuck

This topic is 8582 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.