relating databases

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am new to FileMaker.

I want to tie 2 (or more) data bases together. For example, I have a client contact database already made.

Now, I want to make a Project Database that is using possibly a client already in the Client Database. (Clients may have more than one project)

When I make a new record in Projects Form, I am going to type in a certain Company Name. At this time, I want the Client Name, Client Address, etc, to pull up automatically from the Client Contacts Database to minimize typing. Also, the client may be new in this project. How can this be done?

Thank you.

Basically, you make sure that each client has a unique ID in the Clients database. The easiest way to do this is by making a text field that is Auto-Enter Serial Number.

Then when you're in the Projects database, you have a field in there called Client_ID which is related to the Client_ID (the unique) field in clients. You create a value list that populates from the records in Clients and shows the Client_ID and the Client_Name fields. When an option from this menu is selected, you are filling in the Client_ID for that field.

Then you place related fields on the layout so that once the relationship has been set to be valid (by setting the Client_ID field in the Projects database), you will be able to see data from that client in the Projects database.

Chuck

This topic is 8641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.