Send Mail script

This topic is 8636 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I can't seem to get the script Send Mail to work.

The script Open URL(no dialog,"Email Address") with mailto:[email protected] in the current "Email Address" field brings up my Juno e-mail program and I can add subject and text and send that email. But the script Send Mail(no dialog,"Message") with To: specified as field value of "Email Address", cc: left blank, Subject: Text "Message", and Message: "This is a test" does not seem to do anything. (field "Email Address" field in current field contains "[email protected]")

The Send Mail script step only works with some email programs. I've never tried to find out why that is, but that's the way it's built.

The Open URL script step works with whatever program is set to be your default email program (just like clicking an email link in a web browser).

You can specify the subject and body of an email with Open URL, you just need to format it such that it's in a URL form.

For instance, if you have fields for Email_Address, Email_Subject and Email_Body, you could create a calculation text field (called perhaps Email_URL) set to:

"mailto:" & Email_Address & "?subject=" & Email_Subject & "?body=" & Email_Body.

Then set the field used by Open URL to be the Email_URL caluclation field.

Chuck

Double-check that the contents of your Email_URL field are something like what you pasted in:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=Registration Confirmation?body= This confirms registration for Joshua Ware in Battalion on July 21-28. Letter and forms will follow by regular mail. Dave Ware, registrar.

Here's what I did: I copied the above text, created a new FileMaker database with a single Email_URL text field and pasted the text into the field. I then created a script with a single Open URL step, clicked Perform without dialog and pointed the Specify to the Email_URL field. When I ran the script, my default email application (Outlook Express for Mac) launched and the address, subject and body were filled in.

If everything seems OK, then the only suggestion I'm able to make, which is a bit of a shot in the dark, is to try a different email program, if possible. I suppose it may be that the Juno email client doesn't fully support email URLs. Try installing one of the freeware email programs available for your platform and set it to be your default email program for the test, then try running the script again.

If it works with the other program, then Juno may not support what you're trying to do.

Chuck

Hi Chuck:

I tried your suggestion, but it doesn't quite work. What am I doing wrong? The address and subject come up, but no text. This is the way a typical field used by Open URL looks like. It is a calculation which is a combination of text and fields:

mailto:[email protected]?subject=Registration Confirmation?body= This confirms registration for Joshua Ware in Battalion on July 21-28. Letter and forms will follow by regular mail. Dave Ware, registrar.

This topic is 8636 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.