set field across db's

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two db's, one for construction sites, one for all of the separate jobs we do at each site. There is a portal in Sites that shows the jobs.

I have script in Jobs that sets a global field with the Site number and then runs an external script in Sites that finishes the job by entering find mode, setting the Site number field to the freshly populated global field back in jobs and then performs the the find.

It works. So all is well. But, when I try and go back the other way, it stalls. I have a button in the portal, so when I click the button, it sets a global field in Sites to be the job number of the portal row. Then it runs an external script in jobs that enters find mode and sets the job number to be the global field back in Sites. At this point the script stalls and the set command will write to job number from the set global field back in Sites. The global field in Sites is definitely populated.

What am I doing wrong. Is there something funny about set fields everyone knows about that I don't.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, I'm not sure why it going wrong, but why not use Go to Related Record rather than the set field/find/set field route? If you connect the button in the jobs portal to a script that has a Go to Related Record, that should get you to the job you want. If you want to isolate that job from the rest of the database for some reason, at that point you can run a script in Jobs that does

Show All Records

Omit

Show Omitted

And you'll get a found set of the single record clicked on.

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. It worked great.

In the mean time, Set Fields is acting so weird. It mostly does not work. Any ideas on where I can go for help with this. Filemaker tech support does not seem interested. They want me to use alternate methods that include the populating the clip board which I want to avoid.

Thanks.

This topic is 8619 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.