Related Files

This topic is 8607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I've tried following the manual but that was

hopeless. With sentences like -"The master file for one relationship can be a related file for another, and a related file of one relationship can be a master file for another." I don't know how anyone can get any useful info from the manual? Here's what I did: I created two separate files (TEST 1 and TEST2), each file contained a Field Labeled TEXT and the field type therefore was text.

Then I created another FIELD, in both files, labeled NUMBER and this field type was numerical. Now both of the files had different names (TEST 1 & TEST 2)and both live in the same folder on my harddrive. Now when I have my "Master"(TEST 1) file open and I enter a value in either fields (TEXT or NUMBER) I would expect when I open up the "Related" file (TEST 2) that the corresponding related fields would have the same values? Obviously they don't, so what am I doing wrong. I've established the Relationship in both Files, I Created relationships going from TEST 1 to TEST 2 and vice versa. I even closed both files and opened them separately and tried all combinations of files closed and opened during / before or after changing the values of the fields but in no case would the "Related" file's fields update. Is there some sort of trick or proceedure I'm missing?

This topic is 8607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.