Record limit on "demo" file

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm sending a company a copy of a FMP5 database I developed for them to consider purchasing. I want to limit them to only 25 records for this demo version. Any suggestions on how to put this limit into the file I'm sending to them? Thanks

If you are having them create records via a script and button, instead of doing a command n, you could initiate the new record script to find all record and checking to see if the found count is greater than of equal to 25. If yes, bounce them out to a message that they have exceeded the demo copy record limit.

This test could then be easily disabled in the production version.

HTH

I was in a similar quandary when it came to distributing a demo of a small runtime solution that imported a consistant dataset, manipulating it and then exporting a given set based on user defined properties. I ended up limiting the number of records that could be imported as there was only 1 import script per file and they could'nt create new records. (Performed import, go to first record, omit multiple records ie: 40, delete all records in current found set) I would have preferred to limit the number of records on the export but there were about 25 export scripts in each file. (That way, they could have tested it with a full data set but only export a small set.)

I considered a time/date or # of startup's methodology however there were issues with each type. ie: time/date - resetting the date and time on the station, or, # of startup's - re-installation of orginal installer.

Would be cool if FM Developer had demo creation functionality.

[This message has been edited by manitobaangler (edited January 09, 2001).]

The way I got round it was to use a script to delete all but the first (in my case 15) records. If this script is set to run automatically on exit or start up then, although they will be able to enter more than 15 records, they won't be able to save them.

This is the script I use:

Show All Records

Unsort

Go to Record/Request/Page [First]

Omit Multiple [No Dialog,15]

Delete All Records [No Dialog]

Show All Records

Of course you need to warn them that this is how it operates!!

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.