Selective list

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have two databases

employees and Jobs

On the employees I have a field that has buttons of Dept. A, B, C, D. some employees may work in more that one dept.

In Jobs I have two fields. Dept and employee.

I won't the employee list to only show the employees that are marked for that Dept.

Can this be done.

Devin

Where do you want to see these employees? In the employee database? If that's the case, then you can build a self-join relationship (a relationship that is to the same file) and use the Department field as the key on both sides. Then whenever you are viewing an employee, you can see all the employees that share a department with the current employee.

If you want to be able to view all the employees of a department regardless of which departments the current employee is in, you can build a self-join using a global text field, gDepartment, as the left key. Then place this field on a layout as a menu and whichever department is selected in it can show all the employees of that department in a portal.

Chuck

Thats kinda of what I want.

On the employees side I have makerd the employees to their dept. Via a button value list

EX. (greg works in dept a, mark works in dept. b and sally works in dept a and :.

Then in the Jobs database

I use a popup List (dept. value list from employees side).

If I choose Dept . a then I want a popup list to only show empolyees that are marked Dept. a.

So I should see greg and sally.

I hope that this helps in what I won't.

Also I don't know if I should use portals since I'm going to make this data flow into the plam Jfile/Fmsync.

Devin

The global field to department field technique should work for what you want. I would check in the Palm forum regarding issues about getting the data in the right form to the palm. Brainstorming, I would assume that it would entail running a script before the sync and copying the department people to a local field using a loop through the portal.

Chuck

This topic is 8588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.